Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma re lost cat!

Options
  • 20-08-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Folks i mentioned in an earlier thread that we lost our indoor cat on Saturday.
    We have been able through our kind neighbours to access their back gardens to search for her, no luck so far BUT there is one garden that we think she might be that we haven't been able to access with permission, the people are away, don't know for how long certainly not back up to yesterday.
    Anyway I want to know, and this is the dilemma, that if your thought your lost pet might be hiding out in the back garden, possibly hurt, would you attempt access anyhow (by jumping an outside wall)?
    We don't know them but my O.H. kinda just nods to them in passing?

It's still trespass tho isn't it?
    What would you do in this situation, and if you were either the cat owner or the householders and you found out we may have considered this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Could you ring the local Guards and explain the dilemma? It technically is trespassing, so if the local Guards make a note or something (if it's that easy) at least you're covered if you're reported by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

If our indoor cat got out, I would.

I'd make every effort to contact them, pop a note in the letterbox and go and look.

Is the cat chipped? Flyer the neighbourhood and contact local vets and rescues if you haven't already.

Hope you find her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

You're "known to see" in the area?

Assuming it was just hopping over a wall (and not climbing over a building) I'd see no problem having a quick look see.

Put on a high vis jacket if you think anyone might intervene, least that way they could never claim you were breaking in.

I wouldn't go asking the neighbours their opinion on jumping the wall.

Easier to do wrong and apologise afterwards than to seek permission before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Thanks for a positive response.
    My OH grew up here and everyone knows him really well, (in a good way)!
    The neighbours would most likely help him up the wall as report him but these particular people are only here about 10 years and we don't really know them at all.

The idea of popping a note in the letterbox and apologising after sounds ok to me, I have no idea if they are gone for a week or a fortnight and the waiting is agony - we saw her disappear around the corner and up onto this wall, we checked with the adjoining neighbour later in the morning but no luck, this all happened at 6am last Saturday. She is skittish anyhow so we think if she's not being disturbed in this garden she just might still be there - fingers crossed.
    Anyway thanks again for quick responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think a quick call to your local garda station is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I also think a phone call to the local Gards would be the best thing, then over the wall.

Can I just say though, I love this line :)
    Realtine wrote: »
    Tthese particular people are only here about 10 years and we don't really know them at all.

Advertisement