Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public speaking lessons

Options
  • 20-08-2013 11:42am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this; mods feel free to move it if not.

I'd like to do some classes on public speaking. The thought of having to do a presentation terrifies me - it is something I have avoided for the most part so far in life but I think it will only hold me back career-wise. In fact it probably has already, I know I have said no to a couple of opportunities based on the fact I would have to speak in public.

Any recommendations for a course that will help with this?

I'm in a cold sweat already just thinking about it!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Fear of public speaking is very common, in fact some people are more afraid of public speaking than they are dying.

You may not get the exact response you want in this forum as the focus is the performing arts. (although obviously there is a link!)

I teach presentation and public speaking skills to businesses and I have had students come to my improv courses for the exact reason you are looking to do some training. There is a link to my next improv course below, you never know it might of interest.

http://www.lowerthetone.com/dublinimprov/

It might also be worth looking into a Toastmasters club?

The work orientated courses can be expensive, especially if you are doing one independent of your employer. It might worth posting in the "Work & Jobs" forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 owen78702

Miamee,

You should join your local Toastmasters club. It is a great introduction to public speaking and also a very sociable way to learn to the skills involved. All clubs are very welcoming of new members. Fear not, you will not be asked to speak on your first night there.

Enjoy

Owen

Advertisement