Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial Maths

Options
  • 20-08-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I am just about to start 6th year and so I am beginning to think of third level and trying to decide what path I would like to take.

For quite a while now, I have been looking at Actuarial Maths in DCU as a possible course for me but I have a number of questions if someone could please help.

Would I need to do a masters degree after the undergraduate?
    Can you find employment as a trainee actuary while completing the Actuarial Institutes exams?
    What are the employment possibilities after degree/qualification as an actuary?

Ideally I would like to get in contact with someone who is currently doing this course or who has recently completed it.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

Hi,

I am just about to start 6th year and so I am beginning to think of third level and trying to decide what path I would like to take.

For quite a while now, I have been looking at Actuarial Maths in DCU as a possible course for me but I have a number of questions if someone could please help.

Would I need to do a masters degree after the undergraduate?No you shouldn't have to do a masters after the course!
    Can you find employment as a trainee actuary while completing the Actuarial Institutes exams?yeah provided your grades are good you should be able to get a trainee position, if you decide after the four years you no longer want to be an actuary, there are plenty of companies looking for maths graduates, it's a good course for employment and its tough but as long as you keep on top of the work you should be grand:)
    What are the employment possibilities after degree/qualification as an actuary?
    - other than actuary? There are a lot of different areas where actuaries work pensions, life assurance.
    You can also go into pretty much any role in finance, maths graduates are really sought after, other jobs include financial engineer, financial software engineer( there's a fair amount of computer programming courses), portfolio manager,

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doyoumrjones

Have you completed the course yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

I completed the common entry course!! I know a lot of people doing the actuary course:)

Advertisement