Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boilder stove with low output to room

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

I am putting an office upstairs in my garage. It will be a 5M x 6M space and well insulated, so it won't require a lot of heat. My water tank and oil fired boiler are in the garage, so I can hook up the back boiler to it.

It seems to make all kinds of sense to put a back boiler stove in the room and use the heat for water and space heating in the house. I was looking at an Olymberyl Olive as it is supposed to put out 2 - 3kW to the room and 6kW to the back boiler. If I go to the Aidan for example, it puts out too much to the room.

Anyone know of a stove that puts out more like 10 - 12kW to the back boiler and 3kW to the room?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would a Boru Carriag Mór suit, with 4kW to room and 16kW to water? I'd imagine those figures to be ambitious and when the stove is running at peak levels.

http://borustoves.ie/boiler-stoves-carraig-mor-20kw.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

iwb wrote: »
    I am putting an office upstairs in my garage. It will be a 5M x 6M space and well insulated, so it won't require a lot of heat. My water tank and oil fired boiler are in the garage, so I can hook up the back boiler to it.

It seems to make all kinds of sense to put a back boiler stove in the room and use the heat for water and space heating in the house. I was looking at an Olymberyl Olive as it is supposed to put out 2 - 3kW to the room and 6kW to the back boiler. If I go to the Aidan for example, it puts out too much to the room.

Anyone know of a stove that puts out more like 10 - 12kW to the back boiler and 3kW to the room?

It makes perfect sense to do what your thinking, once you do not mind the explosion.

You cannot put a stove (with internal water boiler)up stairs and have the hot water tank downstairs.

It has to be the other way around for a gravity circuit + 101 other rules and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for that byte. I had a guy in Waterford suggest that stove to me yesterday.

scudo, I thought I would have to have a circulating pump on it anyway and in that case, would it not work ok? I know that if the electricity went or the pump failed, i'd be in trouble but can't I fit a blow off valve or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

byte wrote: »
    Would a Boru Carriag Mór suit, with 4kW to room and 16kW to water? I'd imagine those figures to be ambitious and when the stove is running at peak levels.

http://borustoves.ie/boiler-stoves-carraig-mor-20kw.html
    I have the carraig mor 20kw heating 9 rads. It's in the kitchen which is 5m x 4m plenty heat to the rads and the kitchen. If you put down an extra good fire it will get too warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

iwb wrote: »
    Thanks for that byte. I had a guy in Waterford suggest that stove to me yesterday.

scudo, I thought I would have to have a circulating pump on it anyway and in that case, would it not work ok? I know that if the electricity went or the pump failed, i'd be in trouble but can't I fit a blow off valve or something?

I'm afraid not.
    You have no way of controling temp with a solid fuel boiler. Oil or gas boilers will not switch on or over heat if electricty is off.
    Solid fuel is totaly dangerous if not done right. Regulations are there for your safety. If not you you are sitting next to a cast iron grenade. Sorry I ment a large bomb.
    That is why you need a gravity circuit riseing UP to a cylindre.

Ps. I'm trying to help with this info. I'm not trying to pee you off. Ask a plumber to drop in and have a look. You could also instead fit a rad onto your oil boiler that can operate without having to have full house heating on.
    or an electric radiator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure what to do. I have someone coming to the house this week to take a look and advise on installation. I will ask about the safety aspect also.

I know there are various other ways to heat the room. If I don't use a back boiler, I will probably just put in a room heater stove instead. I don't want to use electric heating.

Advertisement