Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Reel - Recommendations?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just looking for some friendly advice on a new reel. I'm looking for a trouble free reel mainly for pier and shore fishing that will get me good distance.

Currently using an old Browning reel that can barely reel in an used condom. Rod is a 12ft Daiwa Meanstreak. Budget of up to 100ish for the right one? Also what line and shock leader? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

ive been using one of my baitrunner reels for pier and off the rocks fishing.
    on one spool ive 6/8lb line for spinning and on a spare spool ive 12 lb line for light feather work and float fishing.
    i find the long spool great for casting, especially with the spinner.
    the reel ive been using is an abu cardinal but using these reels in the sea will require extra attention after use or they will get destroyed by the salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

A shimano navi 7/8000 would be a good choice. I have one as my spare reel and its very good for the price. The line depends on what ground your fishing onto tho. For sand i use .35m suffix tritanium and for anything else i use the same line in .40m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Hey folks, just looking for some friendly advice on a new reel. I'm looking for a trouble free reel mainly for pier and shore fishing that will get me good distance.

Currently using an old Browning reel that can barely reel in an used condom. Rod is a 12ft Daiwa Meanstreak. Budget of up to 100ish for the right one? Also what line and shock leader? Any help greatly appreciated.

12-15lb Drennan clear or white mono line and Greased Wesel 60lb Yellow shock leader.....this will alow you to cast long distances from the shoreline/piers.

A multiplier reel will also be benificial too,for long distance shore casting.

Buy a Kilo spool of the mono line,and use it to fill up your reel spools.

Use the 60lb shock leader for making your traces aswell.

Use 20lb red Amnesia for the hook links.

Black Amnesia is 30lb breaking strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thanks a million for those recommendations, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd go with the Shimano option, I've been using them for the last 20 years and have yet to have one let me down, buy what you can afford and you should get years of trouble free fishing out of it

21/25

• Advertisement

I ended up purchasing the Shimano Navi 8000, she's a beauty. Will test the waters tomorrow. Any do's or dont's for spooling line on? Also how long should my shockleader be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Good reel you got. Put the line on under a little tension. Stick something thru the spool and get someone to hold it with a finger on the side while you reel it on so. Its easier if the reel is on a rod.
    Shockleader should be the lenght of your rod, plus the lenght of your drop(tip of rod to top of trace) and around your reel between 4/5 times but some people will go to 7 times round the reel.
    Another way that usually works is twice the length of your rod.

Cool thanks Red.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

And a couple of dummy casts 1st...(just a lead weight) to bed the line onto the spool and bed the reel in too.

Allways bring the spool of mono line and the spool of shock leader with you,when you go fishing....you may need it

And if you cant do that,then have a 2nd/spare reel with you ready to go,just incase you loose the line/shock leader off the 1st/main reel...(rough ground or a line jam and snap when casting)

Advertisement