Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Cooker Hob where to go next

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

Basically had a new kitchen installed a little over 3 years ago , it cam with all nordmende appliances. Covered under 3 year warranty.

The warranty is up since 30th june this year, of course the hob has decided to pack in completely. Im wondering what the next step is, the company which does the nordmende aftersales wont touch it without being paid €80 to come and look at it.

Who do I go to next the kitchen supplier who supplied the products as part of it ?

I think im being reasonable a hob should last more than 3 years of regular use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Basically had a new kitchen installed a little over 3 years ago , it cam with all nordmende appliances. Covered under 3 year warranty.

The warranty is up since 30th june this year, of course the hob has decided to pack in completely. Im wondering what the next step is, the company which does the nordmende aftersales wont touch it without being paid €80 to come and look at it.

Who do I go to next the kitchen supplier who supplied the products as part of it ?

I think im being reasonable a hob should last more than 3 years of regular use.

Sods law i'm afraid, you dont really have anywhere to go. i found espares.co.uk to be very good for spare parts and even helping to identify the issue. if you or someone else inthe house is anyway handy with a screwdriver its a no brainer really to repair this kind of stuff.

just make sure to switch off the power to the cooker before going anywhre near it with anything other than a pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Out of warranty it's normal to have to pay for an engineer to call out. €80 is on the lower end to be honest.

Did you google the problem? If it's a known problem/fault you may have a case that the goods weren't fit for purpose. If not, then if it's a repairable fault, that doesn't require the hob to be replaced, paying for a repair would probably be considered fair. Double check with the national consumer agency. Your contract is with the people you bought the kitchen from, though in some cases going direct to the manufacturer can yield more positive results.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Technically, your contract is with the retailer. I would personally consider 3 years to be a short lifetime for a hob, but it does depend on what part has failed. In older cookers, elements would fail regularly and they were considered to be more "consumable".

With something that is 3 years old, the shop is reasonably entitled to have the goods inspected to see what caused the breakage. Depending on the answer, it may shape how you proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

To be honest its a cheap hob, i may take the opportunity to upgrade a bit to bosch or Neff, i am after hearing good reports on their reliability.

Advertisement