Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed for three months in 2014

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi

Cannot find anything online to help me with this.

I will be finishing my final year in University at the end of May. I might have a job lined up that will begin in September which, by this time, I would have the contract signed and everything sorted

Will I be entitled to Jobseekers Benefit (I have a few years of stamps built up and the majority of this year) in June, July and August while im waiting for my employment to begin after I finish college?

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you have sufficient contributions for 2012 (39 or 26 in each of 2012 &2011) you can sign for JSB if not you could apply for JSA as a means tested payment. You must still satisfy the conditions of being available, fit and actively looking for work during those 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    If you have sufficient contributions for 2012 (39 or 26 in each of 2012 &2011) you can sign for JSB if not you could apply for JSA as a means tested payment. You must still satisfy the conditions of being available, fit and actively looking for work during those 3 months.

Hi Sue Ellen

Thank you for your help. I was unsure if I could apply for JSB/JSA for this time. So i must show that I am looking for work for these three months while waiting for my job to start in september?

Thank You

dragon5678 wrote: »
    Hi Sue Ellen

Thank you for your help. I was unsure if I could apply for JSB/JSA for this time. So i must show that I am looking for work for these three months while waiting for my job to start in september?

Thank You

If you are requested for proof you would need to have something to show. But in most cases now there is not even an acknowledgement of receipt of a CV. If you are presented with a UP19 form during your claim complete it as best you can and maybe attach a copy of your CV. As you will only be claiming 3 months this might not even happen prior to you starting your job.

Hi Sue Ellen

Was just thinking of something. I've been employed since september 2010 but it was a part time job. I would have been earning under €352 per week so I would have been insured under PRSI class A0 where I wouldnt have made a contribution but my employer had

I was wondering does my employers payment only cound as a PRSI paid contribution for jobseekers benefit purposes?

Yes that would count. To get the full JB rate you would have to have average weekly earnings over €300 anything less and the rate is tiered. Did you work all of 2011?

• Advertisement

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    Yes that would count. To get the full JB rate you would have to have average weekly earnings over €300 anything less and the rate is tiered. Did you work all of 2011?

ah i see. I worked from sept 2010 all the way to april 2013 in the same part time job but never reached over €300, it was between €170 and €210 per week. Currently in an intern role until mid september since april and been earning over €300 per week

Next year 2012 cons will be used so for JB you would only qualify for the reduced rate of €121.40 per week. If you are over 25 you would be better of on JA (€188, if you have no means). If you are between 22 & 24 years old and not living at home (I am assuming no other means apply) you would get €144. If you are living at home and are under 25 there might be means from your parents income. This is based on current rules, obviously you will be a year older next year, and there could be any number of changes in the budge that could affect this!

I hope this makes sense.

it makes perfect sense.

I would have means, unfortunately, by 2014 so I would not be able to get JA as i am cohabiting. I'd be on the €144 on JA.

Thank you for your help

Advertisement