Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Renovation

Options
  • 20-08-2013 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi

We are planning on starting our bathroom renovation next week after 40 years, we're getting tired of the pink tiles and the unused bath. We're getting the estimate tomorrow so was going to document the whole job and put it up here if anyone would find that of interest if not I won't bother.

I'll take pictures at all the stages and have a list of all fittings used.

I'll put up the name of the company too.

Heffo500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am also thinking of doing a bathroom renovation, so I would be interested for sure.

I will be keeping my bath though, and thinking of changing the shower cubicle to a wet room type setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Ok no problem. I'll do it so.

First update is both windows have been ordered and are being installed on Tuesday.

Emerald Windows are fitting them for us.

We've chosen to go with the Mira Platinum Duo Shower Duo with extra controller.

I'll take pictures of the bathroom as is tonight when I get home and the plan drawn up by the company.

We also have a separate toilet which is beside the bathroom which is being renovated also.

The company have said it will be one of the biggest bathrooms they will have done to date.

Any questions just ask.

I've taken pictures of the bathroom before renovation. The renovation is going to start at 8:00 on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Definitely interested heffo.

Are you looking for comments / suggestions as the work moves along?

dfbemt wrote: »
    Definitely interested heffo.

Are you looking for comments / suggestions as the work moves along?

Not looking for suggestions to be honest everything has been decided along with the builders and the people from Tubs and Tiles. Just putting it up so people can see the stages involved and get some ideas if they plan to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

I am amazed they said that is the biggest bathroom they have ever done :confused::confused: it looks quite small so I would be very weary, how many sq mtrs of tiles are there

650gs wrote: »
    I am amazed they said that is the biggest bathroom they have ever done :confused::confused: it looks quite small so I would be very weary, how many sq mtrs of tiles are there

There's 37 square mtrs of wall tiles and 8 Square mtrs of floor tile and 41 sheets of 30*30 mosaic sheets.

I phrased it wrong they said its one of the biggest in a while. The toilet is a separate room.

I've uploaded the plan they made as well as the plan again with the second w/c room crudely drawn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

looking forward to see what other tilers are like :-) don't forget to ask for the insurance and master tradesman card :) .... i am a tiler and bathroom fitter so this thread will be nice to watch ! keep it updated !

Master trades man card WOW :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

I'm Very interested in this also..I got a quote today for tiles for a 1.9 mtrs by 2.4 walls and floor..am taking out my bath and putting in a shower..now need to find a plumber and tiler that won't fleece me!!

• Advertisement

So today was d-day the skip arrived 7:45 and the builders arrived at 8:00 on the dot as they said they would.

By 10:00 all the old bathroom was ripped out and in the skip.

All the walls have been chased and outlets on the exterior wall have been cut out with a diamond core.

The area for the wet room has been cut down to 50mm for the marmox tray. It has been leveled with mortar and the special trap has been put it place.

Here's the website for the marmox shower lay:
    http://www.marmox.co.uk/products/showerlay

Just more photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

looking good keep it updated ! im in the same game so i may pick up tips :D:D:D

Broadband has been down only getting to update now.

Day Two
    All the walls were chased for pipes no boxing is being used at all as they don't believe in doing it.
    The insulation with plasterboard was installed on the external walls.
    The new hot water cylinder was installed and the tank in the attic has been moved to give more room in the attic.
    The pump for the Mira shower has been installed in the attic
    The down lighters, shaver socket and fan were all installed
    The walls/ceilings received their first coat of paint.
    A vent was drilled in the wall as well as the a hole for the extractor.
    A new immersion clock was installed.
    The tanking kit was installed.

They finished at 12:00 that night to be ready for tiling on Wednesday.

Tilers arrived and over the two days have completed all the tiling now.

Sorry for the delay in putting up the finished pics.

On Friday at 21:00 the bathroom was complete.All work inside and out complete as well as the skip removed As promised we had our completed bathroom in a 5 day turnaround.

We are delighted with it and the craftsmanship of the team.

Its like a bathroom from 5 star hotel. :D

Please tell us what you think.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Fcuk all space to actually get into to the guest toilet.

Looks like a nice nice job though.

Did the tiler "tank" everything in the main bathroom/shower before tiling?

The picture isn't great it does feel cramped in the guest toilet to be honest.

The did tank the wet room area however they said if you have a good tiler the tiles shouldn't leak in the first place only a bad tiling would result in water getting behind the tiles in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

heffo500 wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay in putting up the finished pics.

On Friday at 21:00 the bathroom was complete.All work inside and out complete as well as the skip removed As promised we had our completed bathroom in a 5 day turnaround.

We are delighted with it and the craftsmanship of the team.

Its like a bathroom from 5 star hotel. :D

Please tell us what you think.

Do these tradesmen know that you have their pics/faces up here on Boards?
    Wonder if they are happy with the client splashing their pics all over the internet??;):pac:

Looks like a nice nice overall job though.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Do these tradesmen know that you have their pics/faces up here on Boards?
    Wonder if they are happy with the client splashing their pics all over the internet??;):pac:

Looks like a nice nice overall job though.:)

They put their jobs on their Facebook page and didnt mind but tomorrow I will blur their faces just in case and they are actually my pics not theirs I took them all myself over the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

They put their jobs on their Facebook page and didnt mind but tomorrow I will blur their faces just in case and they are actually my pics not theirs I took them all myself over the week.

An thats grand so...but as long as they know their faces are visable here or you have permission to post them working and their faces here.

Some tradesman dont like that sort of thing.;)

Congratts on the new bathroom,have fun in it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Looks like a great job, you must be delighted with it :) I am also thinking of having a major renovation job done on our bathroom, is there any possibility of sharing some of the costings?

Looks like a great job, you must be delighted with it :) I am also thinking of having a major renovation job done on our bathroom, is there any possibility of sharing some of the costings?

I'd rather not post here how much it cost to be honest but let's just say no expense was spared and we didn't cut any corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont suppose you still have the original shower door? It looks in ok condition

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont suppose you still have the original shower door? It looks in ok condition

They took it with them as he had someone that wanted it. I told him to do what he wanted if he didn't want it I told him to put in the skip. It was only 6 moths old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

They took it with them as he had someone that wanted it. I told him to do what he wanted if he didn't want it I told him to put in the skip. It was only 6 moths old.

Ok, well at least its getting used as it looked ok condition, Id hate to think it got smashed under a pile of rubble/tiles/toilet :)

They did tank the wet room area however they said if you have a good tiler the tiles shouldn't leak in the first place only a bad tiling would result in water getting behind the tiles in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to do with a bad tiler tanking is essential in any case where there is wood underneath remember no matter how good he is wood reacts to all sorts of condition's and will move over time

650gs wrote: »
    They did tank the wet room area however they said if you have a good tiler the tiles shouldn't leak in the first place only a bad tiling would result in water getting behind the tiles in the first place.

Nothing to do with a bad tiler tanking is essential in any case where there is wood underneath remember no matter how good he is wood reacts to all sorts of condition's and will move over time[/quote]

It's actually a solid concrete floor.

Advertisement