Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Fridge Freeze broke after 3 days-food ruined

Options
  • 19-08-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hiya Folks,

Am looking for advice.

My old fridge freezer broke down and defrosted all our food.

Got a new one and got a guy from the shop in put it in, its integrated and cost an extra €60.00. The following day went out and did my shopping.

Noticed a smell yesterday in the Fridge about 2 days later, when we came back after being out, the smell was worse and it was obvious that the new one had broken down and food had been defrosting.

Had to throw the food out again. Is the shop/brand responsible for this loss, as my insurance won't cover too losses in a week and a bit.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

It sounds like there's a fault in the electricity supply to the fridge freezer.

So before you starting shouting at the retailer, possibly get an electrician to check as fridge freezers are fairly simple appliances. The mechanics of it needs no installation at all - just plug in and work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

So you recommend I pay for a electrician to come to fix a machine I just paid €800.00 and it only worked for 3 days. Thats great advice , any more gems like that, please share I could do with a laugh.

At no point did I suggest I was going to "Shout" at oneone, please don't assume you know my personality as you clearly don't.

I was researching the issue and funny enough most retailers use a similiar term as yourself saying there is a fault with the electricity supply, strange how it only affected the brand new fridge freezer. I must tell the fitter who is coming with a replacement Fridge Freezer he does not have to do anything just plug it in, I wonder why these retailers have fitters for intergrated equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

cassid wrote: »
    So you recommend I pay for a electrician to come to fix a machine I just paid €800.00 and it only worked for 3 days. Thats great advice , any more gems like that, please share I could do with a laugh.

At no point did I suggest I was going to "Shout" at oneone, please don't assume you know my personality as you clearly don't.

I was researching the issue and funny enough most retailers use a similiar term as yourself saying there is a fault with the electricity supply, strange how it only affected the brand new fridge freezer. I must tell the fitter who is coming with a replacement Fridge Freezer he does not have to do anything just plug it in, I wonder why these retailers have fitters for intergrated equipment.

That's a frankly bizarre response. You asked for advice, got it, and attacked the person giving the advice.

Two electrical items fail within a short time of each other, presumably using the same power outlet. Is it not reasonable to suggest that there may be a problem with the power?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thats great advice , any more gems like that, please share I could do with a laugh.

Doesn't sound like the advice was welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭thesandeman

strange how it only affected the brand new fridge freezer.

And possibly the old fridge-freezer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most people have these in a garage or converted room, where a dodgy/damp electrical supply is more likely.
    the new one had broken down and food had been defrosting.
    So is the new one still not working or do you think it turned off for some reason.

To check if a supply is turning on & off you could put a plug adaptor in the socket and plug in an alarm clock radio, then set the time. If the power goes off it will usually come back on flashing 12:00, you can also figure out when it came back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Try reading the post without your angry hat on!

I said there maybe a fault in YOUR electricity supply.

Or I'll put it a simpler way.

The fridge freezer runs on electricity. There's a plug at the end of the wire coming from the fridge freezer - you stick that into the socket on the wall to connect up to the electricity which makes the machine work.

If a new machine blows 3 days after another machine broke down, I would be of the opinion that there COULD be a fault in YOUR electricity wiring that has caused the fridgefreezer to short circuit.

Possibly there is a fault that could cause greater damage to your house, such as an electrical fire, which could lead to the house burning down.

And you then berate me for giving you a different view and very plausible view?

Just get an electrician in and get your wiring checked out - you may find I've saved your life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

clearly, from your angry shouty response it looks like they hit the nail firmly on the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

?Cee?view wrote: »
    That's a frankly bizarre response. You asked for advice, got it, and attacked the person giving the advice.

When people assume I am going to starting "shouting" at a retailer, without any knowledge on someone's personality , I find this rather annoying to be honest. I should know better than rise to it, but I did. This is making a huge assumption with no basis whatsoever. I was nothing but polite in my thread, as I am on all my threads on boards. But I don't find it either useful or beneficial when a major part of the "advice" given is not based on any fact but the preconception of how I would deal with a retailer.

The shop have replaced the fridge freezer today and they were 2 extremely nice guys. They said in their experience they get about 1 in every couple of hundred faulty pieces of equipment.

I rang the National Consumer Agency today who confirmed that if a new Fridge Freezer breaks down and under the sale of goods and services act of 1980, that a person can claim for any food that was lost due to the equipment being faulty. It's called "Consequential Loss". In case it ever happens, there is some readdress for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's true, if there's anything wrong with the freezer........

*Ducks*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I look forward to the next thread in three days time...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I look forward to the next thread in three days time...
    If this one breaks down too.

That might suggest an issue with the 'thread source'?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have to agree with some of the previous posters. I would be initially concerned that there is a fault in the wiring in your house, given that you've had two failures in a row. Hopefully it's just bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

I might side with the op as I know what shop she bought it from (educated guess from the price ) and I have seen there fitters work and had to rectify loads of them . they don't give a ****e and drill screws through cabinets to hold appliance in where it wasn't designed for screws , hence in a lot of cases I have seen they screwed into gas lines around fridge door causing gas to leak and fridge to fail in a few days of use .

seen a good few like this and integrated dishwashers same story ,screws through cabinet causing leaks into base

Advertisement