Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce sound from water pump - does this work?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

My builder and plumber tried this out to reduce some of the sound from the pump. Any thoughts on this set up? Can I apply any further tweaks to improve even more.
    Its not bad but its still pretty loud.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Replace the copper pipes with flexables, suspend the pump on some rope, this should eliminate a lot of the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I wouldn't bother suspending I just make a ply base and bit of carpet. And plastic pipe too

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

you could put pump on time clock have it off at night ect on during day .. you could try a rubber matt it helps if you wanted you could change pump for submersible pump which goes into storage tank

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

310, where would I get such a rubber matt? are there specific ones that are made for this kind of thing?

i get them at coop stores the matts i get are about an inch thick , or any farming supplier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have you got 2 spare floor tiles big enough to sit the pump on and some silicone caulk?

My pump already had flexible hosing and the little rubber boots for the feet but still made a terrible racket audible throughout the house.

I took 2 spare kitchen floor tiles and gave them a good squirt of caulk on the undersides. Placed the first in position with the second tile on top and then the pump on top of that. The combination of the mass of the tiles and the vibration isolation between pump->Tile->Tile->Plywood subfloor means that most of the vibrational energy is converted to heat instead of sound. The tiles get quite warm when the pump is on.

Can't hear the pump in the rest of the house anymore, barely audible in the bedroom underneath and audible but not annoying in the attic bedroom right beside the boiler closet.

good idea will try this tks

Advertisement