Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gold

Options
  • 19-08-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hey everyone. I've been researching gold in Ireland and its suggested that some of the old names given to certain area's are a dead giveaway. I'm trying to locate a place near clonmel called Lug-an-ore (Hollow of the Gold). Any info would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

spectraman wrote: »
    hey everyone. I've been researching gold in Ireland and its suggested that some of the old names given to certain area's are a dead giveaway. I'm trying to locate a place near clonmel called Lug-an-ore (Hollow of the Gold). Any info would be appreciated. :)

There is a Laganore to the east of Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spectraman

Thanks guys. I found the place. As it turns out i know the area pretty well. There's a nice stream/river that runs parallel to the area. Time to get my metal detector and panning equipment out i think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just for FYI, the Irish equivalent of Treasure Trove law means that if the Gold found is of historically important then the State will confiscate it (albeit with some compensation) - good luck.

just been informed that even a land owner that has knowledge of historical evidence on his/her land has no right to go searching for artifacts etc without prior consent blaa blaa blaa. The laws an ass sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dindsenchas

Thanks guys. I found the place. As it turns out i know the area pretty well. There's a nice stream/river that runs parallel to the area. Time to get my metal detector and panning equipment out i think. If anyone out there has land they think it could hold some history, dont hesitate in contacting me. I have liability insurance and i am fully licensed to use a metal detector here.

Can you clarify something for me please?You say you are "fully licensed to use a metal detector here". - who issued that licence?

• Advertisement

Fully licensed means i was issued with a log book if you like. Its got my name and serial number for the md. If i'm not doing anything illegal it means it cant be confiscated etc. They are issued from the metaldetectorsireland.ie

I think thats what they are called. Im not near my gear at the mo so cant check... you look it up on line as regarding md in ireland

Fully licensed means i was issued with a log book if you like. Its got my name and serial number for the md. If i'm not doing anything illegal it means it cant be confiscated etc. They are issued from the metaldetectorsireland.ie

So you're not fully licenced to use a metal detector then!

It depends which way you view or take the use of the term 'fully licensed'. If you take your car out and it has no logbook, no tax etc means it can be confiscated by the law... same rules apply here with detectors. If you are an archeologist then you can be granted permission to use a MD on historical sites but not before a long and lengthy procedure etc. The law states that MD on beaches is fine but MDing near or on archeological sites is highly illegal... To MD in the country side is simple as long as you have permission from the landowner and if any historical artifacts are found they have to handed over to the state within a certain short length of time... If not, prosecution will be issued to the searcher and the landowner.. Its all on line if you choose to do some more research on the matter. I normally take my 9 year old son with me to the beaches. Its great for getting fit and spending time with family. Just dont make a nuisance of yourself and you'll be left alone. Simple as that...

It depends which way you view or take the use of the term 'fully licensed'. If you take your car out and it has no logbook, no tax etc means it can be confiscated by the law... same rules apply here with detectors. If you are an archeologist then you can be granted permission to use a MD on historical sites but not before a long and lengthy procedure etc. The law states that MD on beaches is fine but MDing near or on archeological sites is highly illegal... To MD in the country side is simple as long as you have permission from the landowner and if any historical artifacts are found they have to handed over to the state within a certain short length of time... If not, prosecution will be issued to the searcher and the landowner.. Its all on line if you choose to do some more research on the matter. I normally take my 9 year old son with me to the beaches. Its great for getting fit and spending time with family. Just dont make a nuisance of yourself and you'll be left alone. Simple as that...

Can you direct me to a site or a piece of legislation where it states the use of metal detectors on beaches is legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Moved from History to Archaeology.

History mod.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Unsuitable for the archaeology forum or any other Boards forum for that matter.
    If anyone wants to argue their case in an intelligent fashion, there is a suitable thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement