Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Calculation help

Options
  • 19-08-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

equation.jpg

Can any explain this equation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

equation.jpg

Can any explain this equation

Where have you picked it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

a design heating requirement question. A building has a design requirement of 35kw at a design temp difference of 22 degrees c..the building has a seasonal efficiency of 85%
    My correction factors for the building and the 8hrs a day, 5 days a week the heating is running is Week length .75, hrs per day for 8hrs is factor 1 and the intermittent slow system for a light weight building is .7

degree days per annum is 2296

How i slot all that together to get an answer i do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

Ok, If a plumber is meant to know that then I am soooo out of touch with my trade...:eek:

a design heating requirement question. A building has a design requirement of 35kw at a design temp difference of 22 degrees c..the building has a seasonal efficiency of 85%
    My correction factors for the building and the 8hrs a day, 5 days a week the heating is running is Week length .75, hrs per day for 8hrs is factor 1 and the intermittent slow system for a light weight building is .7

degree days per annum is 2296

How i slot all that together to get an answer i do not know.

I have never come across that calculation. I would more so go on material & construction component U values to determine exact heat losses. I have very detailed forms to enable accurate individual room losses to the point of room temperatures between external walls but also internal walls where the room beside it would be warmer than outside.
    Delta T of 22C would not be accurate as it would depend on the room. Generally, design delta T would be outside -3C, kitchens, living rooms, etc would be 20C to DT would be 23C but bathrooms would be 22C so DT would be 25C. Bedrooms 18C so DT would be 21C.
    Seasonal efficiency of home would be very useful to know, but not one I have used before.
    Increase room design temps by 2C for elderly.
    Pipe work losses should also be taken into account, usually 10% of system is best practice.

I would definitely like to know more on your calculation, if you have something to share that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

gifted wrote: »
    Ok, If a plumber is meant to know that then I am soooo out of touch with my trade...:eek:

Looks like quite a basic formula

• Advertisement

Best i can work out is to do 35/22-1*2296*24(0.75*1*0.7/85)

Best i can work out is to do 35/22-1*2296*24(0.75*1*0.7/85)

But what is the 15.5?
    Also why are you using the T0 as 1. I would have assumed the T's are design temp & outside or something to that affect.

shane0007 wrote: »
    But what is the 15.5?
    Also why are you using the T0 as 1. I would have assumed the T's are design temp & outside or something to that affect.

inside and outside temp? 22 inside..guessed 1 for outside. maybe try 2296*15.5 in the middle

inside and outside temp? 22 inside..guessed 1 for outside. maybe try 2296*15.5 in the middle

General areas inside would be 20.
    Outside generally designed to be -3.

Still not sure what the 15.5 could be.

Where did you pull the equation from?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Looks like quite a basic formula

I was out sick that day in college :pac:

• Advertisement

I agree. It's not a standard calculation for sure.
    I have yet to see seasonal efficiency for a building. I can certainly see the benefits of having this & would love to have a means of calculating this accurately.

I'm digging through my old folder I had when i was an apprentice and no sign of it, even gone through notes I had for doing city and guilds and no joy so he's made that up...thats it...he made up that formula..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It looks like something you would get in one of the CIBSE books (Chartered institute of Building Services Engineers), they are very good books but must be looked at in their entirety.

A lot of these formulas would require you to account for worst case scenario outside temps which people generally use -10 for in this country. Most of the cibse formulas are intended for use in large commercial, industrial buildings.

They do have simple formulas for heat loss etc.

I was out sick alot of days in collage!!

I miss college..:P

I miss college..:P

Who wouldn't miss getting paid 400+ a week to go to college. I loved athlone!

Went to RTC, now CIT, parents house only across the road from it, back then the company paid us while we were out there, brilliant getting cheque in the post every thursday morning..not so brilliant when i was docked a whole week for missing time :pac:

Went to RTC, now CIT, parents house only across the road from it, back then the company paid us while we were out there, brilliant getting cheque in the post every thursday morning..not so brilliant when i was docked a whole week for missing time :pac:

I'd say in phase 4 I was hungover more often than not

I was on block release when Kentz went bust and the class was packed with Kentz apprentices, so packed that they had to split the class when the practical exam was on. I done the exam on the first day and the other half done it the next day so of course a few of us headed up to the outpost for a few...a few hours later I ended up in the workshop warped out of my skull trying to give a fellow I knew money, jesus the instructor ****ed me out of it..but he never reported me :)

I was on block release when Kentz went bust and the class was packed with Kentz apprentices, so packed that they had to split the class when the practical exam was on. I done the exam on the first day and the other half done it the next day so of course a few of us headed up to the outpost for a few...a few hours later I ended up in the workshop warped out of my skull trying to give a fellow I knew money, jesus the instructor ****ed me out of it..but he never reported me :)

De good auld days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I was out sick alot of days in collage!!

Is that why you can't spell " college ":D

sullzz wrote: »
    Is that why you can't spell " college ":D

Ha probabely !

Ha probabely !

Your ok , I did phase 4 in athlone , the plumbing lecturers weren't too good at teaching English

Your ok , I did phase 4 in athlone , the plumbing lecturers weren't too good at teaching English

Jaysus who knows... We could have been in the same class!!

Jaysus who knows... We could have been in the same class!!

Coulda been , think I was there about 2003

Coulda been , think I was there about 2003

Me too I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    I agree. It's not a standard calculation for sure.
    I have yet to see seasonal efficiency for a building. I can certainly see the benefits of having this & would love to have a means of calculating this accurately.

Big boiler for big building.
    Small boiler for small building.
    Big radiator for big room.
    Small radiator for small room.

Only jokeing. I'm totally impressed. Like some of the others I was outside having a fag when this equation was explained and so I had to buy the three rotary disc caculator.

Ps only jokeing ok. You know that you know your stuff.
    But can you bend a pipe?

scudo2 wrote: »
    Big boiler for big building.
    Small boiler for small building.
    Big radiator for big room.
    Small radiator for small room.

Only jokeing. I'm totally impressed. Like some of the others I was outside having a fag when this equation was explained and so I had to buy the three rotary disc caculator.

Ps only jokeing ok. You know that you know your stuff.
    But can you bend a pipe?

Yes, I can.

Also it's called a Mear's calculator, that three wheel rotary thingy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Remember Jimmy the witch, plumbing store keeper in CIT ?
    PS. I'm talking 27 years ago. I spent more time in SR. HENRYS with him than in class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Athlone 2003...Charlie 's for a pint of soup.....im mean a pint with your soup I think, there was no talk of resession in them day's.

What was the lecturers name, the Dublin guy had a beard he was head buck cat when I was there, he was always looking for a lift home to Dublin on a Friday evening. Good guy though and great times.

Advertisement