Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applied computing

• 19-08-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Anybody on her doing applied computer this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Going into 4th year.
    If I can help, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Just wondering what you think of the course and is there much maths involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've enjoyed the course, although when I started there was a choice of elective modules for 3rd & 4th year, which have been done away with.

You'll be doing Java for all 4 years, so best to embrace that, then try to resist!

Maths is grand, even for a ol' boy like me!
    It starts off really easy, with the hardest stuff at the end of year 2, but by then it's much more interesting stuff like logic & truth tables. Sounds bad, but you'll have covered all the basics by then, so it's not too bad. Plus, you'll have used practical examples of the maths during other modules, like Operating Systems & Programming.

The lecturers really do want you to pass, so if you show that you're interested, i.e. by actually going to class, they will do their best to help you.
    In fact, attendance is a big thing!
    Turn up and try, and you'll be supported; but don't go into class, and the lecturers won't bother with you.

It's a long 4 years, and you really feel it when the Games and the Security folks are finishing up after 3 years. They can choose to do an extra year, for the Hons Degree, but you can't.
    Also, only about 20% of first years make it the full 4 years!
    We had 38 in first year, down to 11 by the end of 3rd year......

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Just wondering what you think of the course and is there much maths involved

I'm going in to second year now and in my opinion the course is okay. Its not too difficult, and that includes the maths. Some of the concepts seem hard but just go to class and you'll pick it up easily enough.

The programming itself is quite easy, especially in the first semester.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Advertisement