Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to start playing Golf

Options
  • 19-08-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

As the title suggests I want to learn to play. I've never played at all, but always wanted to. I don't think I should just go to a golf course and just start... I think I would be pretty bad starting off and hold up a lot of people. I think I should start by maybe going to a driving range and also try some pitch n putt for a while. Would this be the right way to start off?
    I can borrow my fathers clubs at 1st so I don't need to fork out ridiculous money for a set. Any tips? Is it an expensive hobby? Any feedback is appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I started a year ago with a weekly visit to a driving range. some 3 months later I felt confident enough to go out and play a round. It was pretty much a disaster, lost a dozen of balls, couldn't put, couldn't drive.. nothing worked.

took my first lesson in march. I took three in total. Everything worked for me in driving range, but out on a field I was horrible. Either I could drive well but couldn't hit irons or vice versa. It took another good mix of driving range visits and rounds to get at least some level of consistency. I guess the thing that really helped me a lot was when I went out for a single ball, I met this elder gent who was getting ready to tee off. Since there was a four-ball in front of us, we decided to play together. Watching him play helped me to understand that one of my problems is that on a course for some reason I tend to hurry. Matching my pace to his helped improve my consistency significantly.

This is a truly great sport which is best enjoyed when playing together with someone. definitely go to driving range, see if you like it and if you can hit the ball consistently. Don't go for a round if your balls are flying all over the place, you will loose them and you will get frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

5 lesssons and hit the par 3 - take a lesson a month if you can and work out a route with your pro, if you don't take this route, you are going to find it tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Here's a few tips that might help OP.

Not really just thought WTF! when I saw it:rolleyes:

Advertisement