Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairline Gap between pipe and trap in manhole

Options
  • 19-08-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hello Guys

I noticed while clearing out a manhole that there's a hairline gap between the pipe and trap. Alot of water goes down the gap. This is not a crack just join was never sealed in first place. For the sake of wanting all water to flow in trap whats the best sealant to use?

Silicone takes 24 hours to dry and i don't really have the option of having 24 hours. is there a quick sealant i cud use that would dry quicker?

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

allycavs wrote: »
    Hello Guys

I noticed while clearing out a manhole that there's a hairline gap between the pipe and trap. Alot of water goes down the gap. This is not a crack just join was never sealed in first place. For the sake of wanting all water to flow in trap whats the best sealant to use?

Silicone takes 24 hours to dry and i don't really have the option of having 24 hours. is there a quick sealant i cud use that would dry quicker?

Thanks
    Alan

Trap in a manhole ???
    Is it a broads trap ? Is it plastic or clay pipework you need to seal , if it is noticeable that a lot of water is getting through the "hairline gap " it needs more than a bit of silicone , it might need to be refitted , a few pictures would speak a million words

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

yes the trap is a Broads trap and plastic pipework. i will try upload a pic but the manhole is very heavy. I need some one to lift it with me so wont be able to do this immediately.

Would silicone work? and if i applied silcone would it still harden even if the sewer is taking water? The sewer carries storm water too so would I really have to pick a time where the weather is good and the house will be unoccuppied? i will attempt silcone first or a suggested addehsive that will harden quicker rather than refitting. really it its literally a very thin gap. wouldn't even be close to 10mm wide.

Advertisement