Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock Leisure club pool

Options
  • 19-08-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Folks,

I did a quick search but I couldn't really find anything about this but I've recently gone through a bit of a back injury (and desperately need to lose some weight) so I'm heading back to swimming which I used to love as a kid.

I want to go check out the portmarnock leisure complex pool tonight for a bit of a swim. Are there any reviews and/or comments from anybody? What's the place like? Is it clean etc etc? Also I think I read they have a sauna. What should I expect for this? just a wooden box or is it a proper sauna with dry and wet heat and all the trimmings?

Cheers for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I havent swum in it in over a year but did swim there early mornings for a good while. It was certainly clean and well maintained. 25m or there abouts. There were no lanes marked off but the early morning regulars were accomodating for sharing, it could be different now. There were no lockers, just a basket provided to bring your gear poolside. Changing room and showers are open plan. I didnt use the sauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

I've been a member since January last year and use both pool, sauna and gym, on average 3 times a week (more if I have the time).

The pool is 25 metres, swimming sessions consist of 45 minutes pool time per hour and details of lane availability, etc. appear on the timetables on their website: http://www.pslc.ie/

Changing rooms are basic but kept reasonably clean - as previous poster says, you can leave your clothes poolside in the baskets provided.

Sauna is fine - water for steam is fed into the heater automatically - no need to pour water on it.

As regards losing weight .... I doubt if swimming alone will do it but I find that a gym workout of about 40 minutes, followed by 35 - 40 lengths provide enough cardiovascular exercise to help control my blood sugar levels. Gym has also helped strengthen muscles in my leg that had deteriorated following a knee op. The regular exercise also helps a bit with weight (mainly body fat percentage) but we all know that diet is just as important here.

Hope you enjoy your swimming session. The biggest advantage of PSLC for me is that it's close to where I live, so I'm a regular user - unlike a much bigger / more modern facility I joined but only used 6 times in 4 years because it was a good drive from my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lightsun

golfwallah wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy your swimming session. The biggest advantage of PSLC for me is that it's close to where I live, so I'm a regular user - unlike a much bigger / more modern facility I joined but only used 6 times in 4 years because it was a good drive from my home.

I have to say it was an absolutely excellent time. very clean facility, the pool was the right temperature and not too full of chloride. So yeah thoroughly enjoyed it. The sauna was a bit basic but perfect for what it is and the dressing rooms are roomy and clean which is all you really need for a quick evening swim.

So yeah I'll be making this a weekly thing.

Also in all honesty the main purpose of this is I've damaged my lowerback a few months ago so I need to do "something" to start strenghtening the muscles in my back and core. So everyone keeps telling me that swimming is the best exercise for it. So with that in mind we'll make this a bi weekly thing.

Cheers for the feedback by the way.

Advertisement