Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English students of TCD, I seek your wisdom

Options
  • 19-08-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I got 475 points in the Leaving Cert, so I was fairly shocked to see I'd been offered a place for my first choice - TR023, English Studies.
    When I got my results I thought I'd head for Maynooth to do French and German instead, so now I'm just confused.
    If I picked English, would it be a useless degree? Is the reading list really intense? I'm ****ting myself here.
    If you guys could tell me what you thought of the course/your experience with English in TCD, I'd greatly appreciate it :) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

- modern languages would make you so much more employable, and would offer lots of literary study along with the grammar and wider cultural knowledge
    If I were in your shoes I would go with a language combination rather than English Studies, which is wonderful course but with very narrow direct employment prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

English is a great course, allegedly (I have friends who do it). The reading lists are very long though.

As for employability, it's a lot more about what you are like than what you studied in college. A girl from JP Morgan gave a talk last year when all the recruitment stuff was happening, and she had done English in TCD. I wouldn't worry about things like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beartato

Thank you both! It turns out I don't have a choice in the matter now because I wasn't considered for Maynooth at all, thanks to my own lack of understanding of how the system worked. English it is! I hear Trinity is a great college and hopefully it'll work out for the best. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ficra9661

Hey, I'm in 6th year now and seriously considering English/English literature in trinity. If someone has the reading list for maybe first year handy or even a few books of the top of their head it'd be helpful. Just interested to see the books and also if I've read any already. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ficra9661

Also wondering- my sis did psychology in trinity and said anyone who did psych/English tsm had a huge workload. Is that still true? (She graduated about 5/6 years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

ficra9661 wrote: »
    Also wondering- my sis did psychology in trinity and said anyone who did psych/English tsm had a huge workload. Is that still true? (She graduated about 5/6 years ago)

This is true, but it's still less of a workload than (say) doing a lab-based course, where you'd be looking at twentysomething hours in lectures and labs a week. It's also a really exciting degree to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Slugabed

ficra9661 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in 6th year now and seriously considering English/English literature in trinity. If someone has the reading list for maybe first year handy or even a few books of the top of their head it'd be helpful. Just interested to see the books and also if I've read any already. Thanks!

What's your email address? I'm going into 3rd year English, I can send it onto you.

Advertisement