Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foolproof Frittata Recipe?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

Having recently mastered omelettes (as in, they now look like omelets and not scrambled eggs...) I'm now trying frittatas. I've a small metal pan (not non-stick).

Here's what I did yesterday:

• Prepare my ingredients (red onion, spinach, feta).
    • Lightly beat four eggs.
    • Add all this together and add ground pepper.
    • Put some olive oil in the pan, swirl it around as it heats so that the sides are coated a bit too.
    • Heat grill.
    • Add mixture to pan.
    • Mix around a bit until it has settled a bit (I think this is where I went wrong, maybe should not have moved it as much and left it on the gas for longer).
    • Once it had set a little at the bottom (way way less than an omelette), put under the grill for a few minutes.
    • Wait until it looks set and remove.
    The sides were nicely done however the middle bottom fell apart when I took it out. I don't think I had set it set enough.

Any comments or help? I'd like to master these as they're nice easy weekday meals!

Many thanks :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Kerryite wrote: »
    Hi all,

Having recently mastered omelettes (as in, they now look like omelets and not scrambled eggs...) I'm now trying frittatas. I've a small metal pan (not non-stick).

Here's what I did yesterday:

• Prepare my ingredients (red onion, spinach, feta).
    • Lightly beat four eggs.
    • Add all this together and add ground pepper.
    • Put some olive oil in the pan, swirl it around as it heats so that the sides are coated a bit too.
    • Heat grill.
    • Add mixture to pan.
    • Mix around a bit until it has settled a bit (I think this is where I went wrong, maybe should not have moved it as much and left it on the gas for longer).
    • Once it had set a little at the bottom (way way less than an omelette), put under the grill for a few minutes.
    • Wait until it looks set and remove.
    The sides were nicely done however the middle bottom fell apart when I took it out. I don't think I had set it set enough.

Any comments or help? I'd like to master these as they're nice easy weekday meals!

Many thanks :-)

Others may not agree, but I like to cook frittata a bit longer and slower than an omelette.

I put all ingredients into a bowl (having sauteed onions and other bits that might need a bit of prep). Mix eggs together, Season and add to ingredients. Tip into a pan that is oven proof. After a few minutes cooking move to the oven on a medium heat, and leave there until set. You will know! Or stick a knife in and test.

If you dont have an ovenproof pan, do as you did, but cook a good bit longer on a low heat, then put under the grill to finish it off.

Frittata to me, is like an egg pie, and should be firm and well set before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree with Spanish eyes.

I always cook frittata long and slow.

I have a good technique for cooking the top. Slide the almost cooked frittata onto a big plate. Put the pan upside down on the plate on top of the frittata. Upend the whole thing slowly so the frittata is upside down on the pan. You can then cook the top slowly. Its easier to get the middle cooked through.

Once you mastered the technique the possibilites are endless.

My current favourites are

- Chop up cooked pasta with fry lightly in olive oil and garlic. Mix into the beaten egg with grated cheese and lots of parsley.

- Fry thinly slices onions with chorizo. Add this and thinly sliced cooked potato and grated cheese to the egg mixture.

Advertisement