Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external gas boilers

Options
  • 18-08-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi, i have to upgrade my boiler due to age. our house is small enough, so im thinking is it possible to get an external gas boiler to give us an extra cupboard in the house. or has anyone got any other space saver opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What I have mostly come across is people building a small boiler house on the side of the house, obviously large enough to provide adequate maintenance access etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Vokera do an outdoor balcony boiler but this is supposed to have semi-cover. I would always be wary of it being outdoors, moisture & electronics don't really mix well & it could prove very costly on the long run with repairs.
    After all, they don't really take up that much space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

lazywhole wrote: »
    hi, i have to upgrade my boiler due to age. our house is small enough, so im thinking is it possible to get an external gas boiler to give us an extra cupboard in the house. or has anyone got any other space saver opinions ?

How about fitting it in your attic?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    How about fitting it in your attic?

That's a lot more work. A proper walkway to the boiler & working area must be included. Proper lighting, etc.
    Also a tiny drop in pressure & a lot
    of nuisance lock outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

shane0007 wrote: »
    That's a lot more work. A proper walkway to the boiler & working area must be included. Proper lighting, etc.
    Also a tiny drop in pressure & a lot
    of nuisance lock outs.

True but it could be a Lot less hassle than trying to fit one outside. Depends on the layout of the house really

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

There is one I have come across in the past 'Cosmo-Gas' comes in a fully stainless steel outside unit, but was very costly, not sure if they still are around, also Vokera used to do a full outdoor unit in a galv box, but again haven't seen them in a long time. Assume the balcony boiler is the replacement? see their new commercial comes in outdoor units too.

Always found attic boilers troublesome for gathering air etc. and as Shane points out.

If it were me, I would find somewhere inside the property. They really don't take up that much space, in a cupboard, under stairs, etc.
    After all we are only talking about something that is circa 700 high x 400 wide x 300 deep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

shane0007 wrote: »
    If it were me, I would find somewhere inside the property. They really don't take up that much space, in a cupboard, under stairs, etc.
    After all we are only talking about something that is circa 700 high x 400 wide x 300 deep!

I agree internally to the house is the best place but if someone was to fit one externally in a shed or that make sure to wire frost protection.
    I came across a flexicon about 2 yr old in a shed complete hydrolic block split no even a perm live wired to this if there was frost protection at least the boiler would have been saved

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭kanji

Rvr do an immergas boiler with a galvanised external cover.

We installed one last year where the customer did not want the boiler indoors.
    Like the rest, I wouldn't be a fan of the idea but it is possible.

Advertisement