Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice on buying a new laptop

Options
  • 18-08-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭

Hi

Basically, I've around €500, but could probably stretch that to €600 if needed...

I'm starting a Masters in a few weeks, and will be doing a lot of computer programming and using a fair few GIS applications. Ive read a bit on this forum and I think I'd need to get an i5 Processor at the least, but tbh, I don't really know what I should be looking for in a laptop. I'd guess something that's powerful enough, and has a decent sized screen with good graphics.

Other than the college use, I'd use it for word processing, internet browsing, playing Football Manager, and using iTunes.

Not sure if this is doable with my budget, but if anyone can help me find a laptop, it'd be much appreciated. Nice one!

Naturally, I haven't just made this thread without looking up stuff myself, but I'm a bit clueless at the moment when it comes to buying a new laptop. The Acer E1-571 with an i7 Processor looks good at around €600, but only has 4GB of RAM, and the Lenovo G580 looks okay too, but has an i5 Processor with 8GB of RAM. It's around €500 though...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Obviously, the Core i5 will be more than suffient... and you'll have some spare cash if you want to treat youself to a nice SSD. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Torqay wrote: »
    Obviously, the Core i5 will be more than suffient... and you'll have some spare cash if you want to treat youself to a nice SSD. ;)

Cheers Torqay.

Anyone in particular? There's a Lenovo G580 for around 500 euro, or a Lenovo Z580 for 500 pound on saveonlaptops.co.uk... Presumably the Z series is slightly better than the G one?

Presumably the Z series is slightly better than the G one?

Yep... the speakers in the Z series are pretty good, so if you value good sound quality and don't want to use external speakers, get the Z series.

Torqay wrote: »
    Yep... the speakers in the Z series are pretty good, so if you value good sound quality and don't want to use external speakers, get the Z series.

Well, I'm not too bothered about the sound of the speakers. Just want the laptop to be powerful and quick enough to be able to run the computing and mapping applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

• Advertisement

Well, I'm not too bothered about the sound of the speakers. Just want the laptop to be powerful and quick enough to be able to run the computing and mapping applications.

If you want "powerful", then the aforementioned Acer is the best choice. Can't beat a quad Core i7 in terms of processing power. Don't worry to much about the system memory. It's cheap and easy to upgrade later.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

IMO Stay away from acer, Acer products are muck. If you're planning to use your laptop a lot, then you'll prob need to replace it after a year. Never seen an acer last longer than that without developing problems.

Never had any issues with Lenovo, And their laptops generally of a better build quality than any acer :)

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree :)

*Source; Been a Computer tech for the past 10 years

truedoom wrote: »
    IMO Stay away from acer, Acer products are muck. If you're planning to use your laptop a lot, then you'll prob need to replace it after a year. Never seen an acer last longer than that without developing problems.

Never had any issues with Lenovo, And their laptops generally of a better build quality than any acer :)

So, would you advise to go for the i5 Lenovo rather than the i7 Acer then? or any other laptop in particular?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

truedoom wrote: »

Bought an acer myself a couple of years ago. Pretty heavy usage and absolutely no problems. Friend of mine bought the same model as me and same story there.

Seeing as apparently RAM is easy/cheap to upgrade, this Acer seems decent too, I think?

Not sure if its better/worse than the previously mentioned Acer E1-571 tho...

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_V3-571_Intel_Core_i7_Windows_8_Laptop_in_Black_NX.RYFEK.022/version.asp#maindesc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

I'm in the same boat as OP in that im starting a masters in a few weeks and will be doing a good bit of programming.

I've had a mac up until this point but need a new laptop now and looking for something more programming-friendly, preferably 14" and would be using it for itunes and graphics also. Willing to spend in and around €1000. Would like something fast with a lot of memory.

Had mac's for the last 7 years so really not sure where to begin when it comes to other brands.. any advice would be appreciated :)

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as OP in that im starting a masters in a few weeks and will be doing a good bit of programming.

I've had a mac up until this point but need a new laptop now and looking for something more programming-friendly, preferably 14" and would be using it for itunes and graphics also. Willing to spend in and around €1000. Would like something fast with a lot of memory.

Had mac's for the last 7 years so really not sure where to begin when it comes to other brands.. any advice would be appreciated :)

Have a look at the new PCS 14" Skyfire III with Haswell chip, €953 in the following configuration:

55fL7ks.jpg

€1,036 with 16 GB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Same boat here with Acer, only started dying out after the 4 1/2 years of serious use. Can't go wrong with the one you had looked at. Upgrading RAM isn't a problem either!

Cheers man.

So, outta these 5, what would ye go for?

ry6k.jpg

Seeing as you say the RAM is easily upgraded, I guess the Acer V3-571 is the best one to go for. Or maybe the i5 Lenovo Z580 as it has the 8GB of RAM, and "dedicated graphics". Not sure if the dedicated graphics would make much of a difference tho, would they? Them two seem like the best options at the moment tho!

Cheers man.

So, outta these 5, what would ye go for?

ry6k.jpg

Seeing as you say the RAM is easily upgraded, I guess the Acer V3-571 is the best one to go for. Or maybe the i5 Lenovo Z580 as it has the 8GB of RAM, and "dedicated graphics". Not sure if the dedicated graphics would make much of a difference tho, would they? Them two seem like the best options at the moment tho!

Acer V3 looks good! So does the Z580. Really down to you! I would suggest whatever one you go for, swapping out the HDD for an SSD. One of the biggest improvements you can make!

Something like this!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7C5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377003412&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

That lenovo z580 is going for €528.10 here bit more for delivery though.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Lenovo_Z580_Windows_8_Laptop_M81K9UK/version.asp

marko93 wrote: »
    Acer V3 looks good! So does the Z580. Really down to you! I would suggest whatever one you go for, swapping out the HDD for an SSD. One of the biggest improvements you can make!

Something like this!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7C5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377003412&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd

Cheers. Would that SSD be replacing the HDD completely? Like if I had the Acer V3, I'd get rid of the 500GB completely for a smaller SSD, or do they work together?

Cheers. Would that SSD be replacing the HDD completely? Like if I had the Acer V3, I'd get rid of the 500GB completely for a smaller SSD, or do they work together?

Would replace it, but you can buy a kit so the HDD would be portable!

Advertisement