Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this fly called

Options
  • 18-08-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

If anyone can tell me what this fly is called it would be great it has a black thread body and a light grey/white hackle and wing. Can't find a name for it anywhere. See attached photo.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Who tied it? Looks like a iron blue dun variant or some other river olive imitation

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

I actually have no idea where I got it unfortunately but would love to get more it seduced 8 fish over a few days before a tree decided it wanted it. It was a great search pattern when nothing was rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Bromium wrote: »
    I actually have no idea where I got it unfortunately but would love to get more it seduced 8 fish over a few days before a tree decided it wanted it. It was a great search pattern when nothing was rising.

It doesn't look too complicated to tie.
    Looks like,
    Light blue dun hackle fibres for tail,
    A grey body hard to see from your photo, any idea of what the body was grey floss, rabbit fur, heron, or something else.
    Is there a rib?
    Light blue dun hackle.
    Wings could be starling, hard to see from photo.

Try a kites imperial great searching fly.

I'm new to fly fishing but to me the body just looked like black thread wrapped around the hook shank and there was no rib it looks a little different in the photo than it did in the flesh. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

looks like a spent mayfly to me.

if it is, heres how to tie one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgDgELAo0sw

• Advertisement

dvae wrote: »
    looks like a spent mayfly to me.

if it is, heres how to tie one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgDgELAo0sw

Its actually the opposite of that one with a black body and a greyish white hackle and wing. Whatever it was it worked a treat I will be keeping a look out to find more of them. Its a pity I don't tie flies as it doesn't look a very complicated pattern.

Advertisement