Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look out Luxembourg & Sweden - you could be next

Options
  • 18-08-2013 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

BRITAIN_2388153b.jpg

From the Telegraph
    A new study has found that at various times the British have invaded almost 90 per cent of the countries around the globe.
    The analysis of the histories of the almost 200 countries in the world found only 22 which have never experienced an invasion by the British.

Surprised to see Andorra on the list - thought that might have been visited during the Peninsular War.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The author of the book being reviewed added: "On one level, for the British, it is quite amazing and quite humbling, that this is all part of our history, but clearly there are parts of our history that we are less proud of. The book is not intended as any kind of moral judgement on our history or our empire. It is meant as a light-hearted bit of fun."

Have you posted it here for serious discussion and debate, a pointer to a 'light-hearted bit of fun', or yet another example of perfidious Albion at it again?

Apropos the adventures in France in the Middle Ages, it must be remembered that the kings and queens of England at the time were also kings and queens of most of France, too, and claims and counterclaims enlivened the history of the time with such notable events as the Hundred Years War. Earlier stiil, England had been successfully invaded for only the second time in recorded history by - the FRENCH. Well, Normans, themselves an invasive group from, well, the north.

However, let's digress for a moment, and look a little further to the north and east, and give some attention to those happily uninvaded Swedes and THEIR huge former empire, now mostly overlooked.

Mind you, you might say that they have conquered the world - in at least ONE respect - almost everyplace you look you can see the yellow and blue flag flying over the huge edifices that are the IKEA stores.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In fairness, the list, it says, also includes British military presence "by negotiation or payment".
    Still, wrote the impressive logistical feat.

I recall reading once that there was only one day since WWII that British forces were not involved in some form of combat deployment. (In the 1960 s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

tac foley wrote: »

Have you posted it here for serious discussion and debate, a pointer to a 'light-hearted bit of fun', or yet another example of perfidious Albion at it again?

267901.png

I'll leave it for you decide.......

Jawgap wrote: »
    267901.png

I'll leave it for you decide.......

Apologies, all I see is a little black box. It has to be an emoticon, but which one I cannot tell.

tac

In fairness, the list, it says, also includes British military presence "by negotiation or payment".
    Still, wrote the impressive logistical feat.

I recall reading once that there was only one day since WWII that British forces were not involved in some form of combat deployment. (In the 1960 s)

It is still as true today as it was back then.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

List is wrong, there are British troops in Mali now

Advertisement