Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop 'limited access' to wifi

Options
  • 18-08-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.

For the past two days my laptop has been saying it is connected to the wifi but with limited access but basically I have no access to the Internet at all.

I don't think it's an issue with the wifi as it is working on other people's phones and laptops in the house.

I've tried the obvious like restarting the laptop and turning on and off the wifi.

I think it could be an issue with the IP address or (ipv4 and ipv6) from what I've been reading on the Internet.

Does anyone have an ideas on how I could fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Delete the wireless network in question and connect again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beccaog

Torqay wrote: »
    Delete the wireless network in question and connect again.

Ok, how do I go about deleting it?

Beccaog wrote: »
    Ok, how do I go about deleting it?

Ok I figured out how to do this but the problem remains the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Beccaog wrote: »
    Ok I figured out how to do this but the problem remains the same

Can you link to the modem via network cable & see if you can get online that way?

Does the cable connection work?

• Advertisement

Do you mean connecting the Ethernet cable? I tried that yesterday and it still didn't work.
    I also want to add for the record that I brought the laptop with me to a different house the other day and it still wouldn't connect to the wifi there, incase that makes a difference?!

It says 'there's no user specified settings to be reset'.
    I think I tried this yesterday, but no harm trying this again I suppose.

Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter and Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller under computer management have yellow triangles around them with exclamation marks, incase that tells anything. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Seen this when the laptop has a fixed ip address that is it in your routers range, in the connection settings. Check that, although it would be u usual for it to happen in both LAN and wifi ports.

Also, if you know the LAN ip range and router address, if you apply a fixed ip address that would also temporarily sort it for that AP but prob cause problems if you move to another AP.

Its worth a try to narrow the problem down if nothing else.

• Advertisement

Aha... I fixed it! At last. Not quite sure how, something to do with putting 'net local group admin /add network service' into cmd.
    Thanks for your help though.

Advertisement