Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Intermediate Hurling

Options
  • 18-08-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,969 ✭✭✭✭

so the final was played today Kilkenny beat Galway.

Is there any point in playing this tournment. I think Galway played the munster champions (which is the only intermediate Prov championship played) in the semi final , where Kilkenny played there first game today.

How come theres no Leinster intermediate Prov championship.

What exactly is Intermediate ???. is players who are after finishing playing intercounty senoir or is it like a development team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Any player within a county that hasn't player senior inter county champ that year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

There used to be a Leinster championship a few years back, often only two counties entered WX & KK. Players that didn't play in the senior AI were eligible.

Maybe only players that play for intermediate clubs and not on the senior county panels should be eligible as per the Leinster club championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so the final was played today Kilkenny beat Galway.

Is there any point in playing this tournment. I think Galway played the munster champions (which is the only intermediate Prov championship played) in the semi final , where Kilkenny played there first game today.

How come theres no Leinster intermediate Prov championship.

What exactly is Intermediate ???. is players who are after finishing playing intercounty senoir or is it like a development team

That was a semi final yesterday, not sure when the final is

Edit: Final in 2 weeks kk v tipp

dotsflan wrote: »
    That was a semi final yesterday, not sure when the final is

Edit: Final in 2 weeks kk v tipp

Will be in Nowlan and is the last chance of an All Ireland honour in 2013 for both not that either will be having an open bus top parade to celebrate it. Kilkenny can call on their under 21s so based on that id fancy them to win the final.

The competition is on a life support machine to be honest. Gets little media coverage and a few weeks ago the Munster final was murdered by a pedantic referee.

I think given the economic state of alot of counties it could well get canned next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭randd1

Will be in Nowlan and is the last chance of an All Ireland honour in 2013 for both not that either will be having an open bus top parade to celebrate it. Kilkenny can call on their under 21s so based on that id fancy them to win the final.

The competition is on a life support machine to be honest. Gets little media coverage and a few weeks ago the Munster final was murdered by a pedantic referee.

I think given the economic state of alot of counties it could well get canned next year.

The only U21's that Kilkenny have are those that are from Intermediate clubs, or the Intermediate Champions.

As a competition, its on its last legs. The main problems with the competition as I see them are:

1 - Every county has different criteria for entering a team.
    2 - Players who play on the winning team one year can't play on the winning team the next year.
    3 - Its played at the wrong time of year.
    4- Competition structure.

The problems are easily fixed.

1 - Have the same criteria for every county entering the competition. Every county should be able to field players that aren't on the county senior panel, or from Intermediate and Junior clubs only (including the Intermediate champions) as is the traditional way.
    2- Allow players who have competed the year before to play again. As it is if you win the Intermediate AI, you have to pretty much pick a new squad, never mind a new team, the next year. This is robbing the competition of some of its best players.
    3- It should be played in the first half of the year, alongside the league games as curtain raisers. Have the Intermediate Final on the same day as the league final, in the same venue.
    4- Play it as a league setup as there aren't enough teams for a cup competition. Home and away setup, 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in the SF's.

I think those changes would do the competition good, and raise the profile of it a bit. Also by staging them alongside league games it would maybe generate familiarity with the Intermediate players, and thus generate more interest in the club championships.

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    The only U21's that Kilkenny have are those that are from Intermediate clubs, or the Intermediate Champions.

As a competition, its on its last legs. The main problems with the competition as I see them are:

2 - Players who play on the winning team one year can't play on the winning team the next year.

1 - Have the same criteria for every county entering the competition. Every county should be able to field players that aren't on the county senior panel, or from Intermediate and Junior clubs only (including the Intermediate champions) as is the traditional way.
    2- Allow players who have competed the year before to play again. As it is if you win the Intermediate AI, you have to pretty much pick a new squad, never mind a new team, the next year. This is robbing the competition of some of its best players.
    3- It should be played in the first half of the year, alongside the league games as curtain raisers. Have the Intermediate Final on the same day as the league final, in the same venue.
    4- Play it as a league setup as there aren't enough teams for a cup competition. Home and away setup, 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in the SF's.

I think those changes would do the competition good, and raise the profile of it a bit. Also by staging them alongside league games it would maybe generate familiarity with the Intermediate players, and thus generate more interest in the club championships.

Who are the u21s this year on the intermediate panel? is there many? Club scene is generally strong even at junior in Kilkenny with the correct amount of clubs at each level.

Good ideas there. I had wondered if it would serve more purpose maybe if they could play a Championship including the weaker teams should the weaker teams wish to continue hurling after being knocked out or even as you said before it. You could throw in the Senior teams of the likes of Carlow, Laois, Westmeath, Down, Antrim, etc. Initially you could have one sided affairs, but in the long term it could only serve to help these teams development instead of the wishy-washy intermediate championship we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Who are the u21s this year on the intermediate panel? is there many? Club scene is generally strong even at junior in Kilkenny with the correct amount of clubs at each level.

Just Luke Harney and Brian Kennedy from the U21s on yesterday's team. Another two, Conor Martin and Shane Donnelly, in the bench.

It is a strange competition with very little interest in a lot of hurling counties. I believe there were only about 300 people in Semple Stadium for the match last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sounds a lot like the All Ireland Junior football championship. Ulster has no championship and half of Leinster (including Dublin, Laois and Offaly) don't compete in it. Think it'd be best if these types of championships are done away with.

Sounds a lot like the All Ireland Junior football championship. Ulster has no championship and half of Leinster (including Dublin, Laois and Offaly) don't compete in it. Think it'd be best if these types of championships are done away with.

Ultimately both are at a cross roads and the GAA can either decide to breathe new life into them or scrap both. Things cant go on as they are. I would doubt for example many drove down from Connemara to Thurles for a 6pm throw in somehow but its more then that to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

randd1 wrote: »

Agree with alot of what you say here but just to clarify it is only the 15 that start an AI win and any subs that come on in the final that are exclued from the following years competition.

Think hte time of the year is fine tbh, moving it to the Spring will only serve to further diminish the competition.

The championship as is will not survive and is unsustainable and like you say the provincial structure is competely unsuitable and inappropriate.

• Advertisement

Good final tonight. Nice flowing hurling from start to finish. Ref done ok. Might have missed one or two things but generally he let it flow unlike the nightmare from the Munster final beforehand. I think Niall O'Meara's presence on the field was the ultimate difference between the two. He is such a battler and a cracking hurler to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Tipp were by a distance the better team but made very heavy weather of winning. A margin of 6-8 points wouldn't have flattered them yet they were a bit lucky to hold on in the end.

I couldn't get my head around the Kilkenny mentors having no one playing at centre forward for most of the match. David Young cleared an amount of ball simply by holding his position at centre back with no Kilkenny player within 20 yards of him.

For what it's worth, Anthony Stapleton made one of the most amazing line ball decisions I've ever seen. One of the Tipp backs carried the ball straight out over the line in his hand and Anthony, from all of two yards away, somehow gave the sideline cut to Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Let the strong counties field their second best team and allow counties that don't play in the McCarthy cup to field their best team. That's how it was years ago and it helped to bring on the likes of Antrim, Carlow and Kildare.

Advertisement