Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop just exploded

Options
  • 18-08-2013 12:16am

So time to buy a new one. What is the best laptop on the market for under £300/400 euro? I was looking at the Toshiba satellite c850 for £260 pound. Is there any better laptops?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Toshiba are absolute rubbish, stay well clear!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Toshiba are absolute rubbish, stay well clear!

All I would really be using the laptop will be streaming sports etc, doing powerpoint presentations and general surfing. I assumed that Toshiba would be ok for that. Is there a major defect with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

All I would really be using the laptop will be streaming sports etc, doing powerpoint presentations and general surfing. I assumed that Toshiba would be ok for that. Is there a major defect with them?

The toshie would be fine for that. Have a look at whats available currently in Tesco. They usually have good offers at this time of year. Offers aimed mostly at College students.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

They are terrible quality and a friend of mine operates a computer repair business and Toshiba laptops make up the lions share of his business. They are also so badly designed and built that when a part goes you have to completely disassemble the entire housing to get at anything. In alot of cases if there is an expensive part gone faulty then it is not economical to repair due to the lenght of time it will take to scrap and rebuild the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

They are terrible quality and a friend of mine operates a computer repair business and Toshiba laptops make up the lions share of his business. They are also so badly designed and built that when a part goes you have to completely disassemble the entire housing to get at anything. In alot of cases if there is an expensive part gone faulty then it is not economical to repair due to the lenght of time it will take to scrap and rebuild the laptop.

+1 Complete junk. .

• Advertisement

Are Lenovo better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

What laptop brand would be better than Toshiba?

I've had 3 laptops, 2 toshiba's no issues 1 HP nothing but trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I've had a toshiba for 2 years now and it seems to do the job nicely.

Obviously there are better choices but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making out. Depends on your budget really.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

There is plenty of laptops out there for your budget. I bought s decent Spec machine for 400 euros. Shop around to get best deal.

• Advertisement

I've had a toshiba for 2 years now and it seems to do the job nicely.

Obviously there are better choices but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making out. Depends on your budget really.

Just started work over here in Edinburgh so I am quite poor at the moment. 300 pound is probably the max I could spend.

What in practical terms is the difference between 4GB and 6GB of RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Focus on the spec more than the brand. The better the spec you get for your money the more value you are getting at the end of the day imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Best advice would be to get something Intel based. i3 or i5... Avoid AMD if possible and Celerons are dirt.
    Anything over 4gb RAM wise would be wasted on what you said you want the machine for.

But been honest anything in a 3/400 budget range will only get you an entry level machine that will most likely not be up to much.

But from working in the industry, I can tell you that 9 times out of 10 it's the user that run their machine into the ground. IE: playing call of duty for 10 hours on a 300 Tosh is only gonna wreck the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Focus on the spec more than the brand. The better the spec you get for your money the more value you are getting at the end of the day imo.
    Short term, yes, long term, no. Short term, great specs will work great, but long term a bad brand will leave you with a nice paperweight.

Lenovo are a very good brand.

Wouldn't be a big fan of the Celerons, but if all you're using it is for "streaming sports etc, doing powerpoint presentations and general surfing", I'd say you'd be grand (only not good for high end gaming).

=-=

Anyhoos, how'd it explode? Details! And pictures, if any.

Best advice would be to get something Intel based. i3 or i5... Avoid AMD if possible and Celerons are dirt.
    Anything over 4gb RAM wise would be wasted on what you said you want the machine for.

But been honest anything in a 3/400 budget range will only get you an entry level machine that will most likely not be up to much.

But from working in the industry, I can tell you that 9 times out of 10 it's the user that run their machine into the ground. IE: playing call of duty for 10 hours on a 300 Tosh is only gonna wreck the machine.

I think the Lenovo has i5. I might just get that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I think the Lenovo has i5. I might just get that one.

As some else said Lenovo are a good brand. (IBM)
    The i5 is probably the best CPU you can get for a laptop. i7's are more expensive but have a higher fail rate due to overheating...

the_syco wrote: »
    Short term, yes, long term, no. Short term, great specs will work great, but long term a bad brand will leave you with a nice paperweight.

Wouldn't be a big fan of the Celerons, but if all you're using it is for "streaming sports etc, doing powerpoint presentations and general surfing", I'd say you'd be grand (only not good for high end gaming).

=-=

Anyhoos, how'd it explode? Details! And pictures, if any.
    It just made a loud noise and smoke started pouring out of it. It was about 5 years old though. Don't have time for any gaming unfortunately with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Bought a Sony 3.5 years ago and it's history now ( Without any abuse, browsing, Uni work, no games,). Cost 500 Euro at the time. Lad in big store in Dublin last week told me that's the life of them anyway, give or take six months or a year. He told me to stay within budget but defo get an Intel processor. still looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Nothing unless you want to run fairly intensive programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

the_syco wrote: »

Fair point I suppose :) Id also agree with you on Lenovo, a good mate of mine has one for years and it's still going strong and that's after few knocks and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

50% ;)

Although Bill Gates (allegedly) once said, "640kb ought to be enough for everyone", system memory (RAM) is something you can never have enough of...

However, your first criterion should be the processor, you can upgrade memory later.

Advertisement