Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 years ago in RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wonder how they would have reacted 28 years ago if they were told that the majority of people's viewing in 2013 might not involve a TV at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

endacl wrote: »
    I wonder how they would have reacted 28 years ago if they were told that the majority of people's viewing in 2013 might not involve a TV at all...

TV still dominates in a world of multi-devices - TAM Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The Cush wrote: »

TBH - how many of us have ever SEEN a TAM device? Or know someone who has one? Thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

endacl wrote: »

What are you on about!? About 90% of viewing hours are on a TV set.

Young hipsters (!) using their Iphones etc to watch is a tiny portion of the total market.

Here are the numbers for the UK which would have broadly comparable "devices" environment.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/23/online-television-viewing-figures?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

7upfree wrote: »
    TBH - how many of us have ever SEEN a TAM device? Or know someone who has one? Thought so.

Didn't read the information in the link then, thought so.

It was an Ipsos MRBI study carried out on behalf of TAM, nothing to do with TAM devices.

The BAI were quoting the figures last week when they launched a public consultation on its strategy for the next three years - http://baifuture.ie/.
    New research from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland shows that the vast majority of people are still watching TV on their sets at home.

The research, carried out by Ipsos MRBI, shows that 85% of people still watch TV on their television sets at home.

Only 4.6% of us use a laptop to watch TV at home; and less that 1% use their mobiles or tablets as TVs.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bai-research-claims-only-46-watch-tv-on-a-laptop-604927.html
    Figures released this morning by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland show that 85.4% of people still watch television on a television set at home.

The study, carried out by Ipsos MRBI found that in 2012, 79% of 12- to 17-year-olds consume their audio visual content on a television and 92% of that content is consumed at home.

For those in the over-55 bracket, 96% of content is consumed on a television and 97% at home.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0827/470476-public-broadcasting-charge/

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    What are you on about!? About 90% of viewing hours are on a TV set.

Young hipsters (!) using their Iphones etc to watch is a tiny portion of the total market.

Here are the numbers for the UK which would have broadly comparable "devices" environment.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/23/online-television-viewing-figures?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Here's what he's on about:

Firstly, this is Ireland - not the UK.

Secondly, this is changing rapidly as we discuss it.

In around five years time the word 'television' as a descriptor will be obsolete. In ten years television as we know will have turned on it's head.

Ten years ago - effectively - there was no broadband or smart phones. now there are 150 Mb lines into HOUSES which are populated by a plethora of smart devices.

Which are being used to watch TV in many instances. For pure convenience.

Didn't read the information in the link then, thought so.

It was an Ipsos MRBI study carried out on behalf of TAM, nothing to do with TAM devices.

The BAI were quoting the figures last week when they launched a public consultation on its strategy for the next three years - http://baifuture.ie/.

I refer you to my answer above. This technology will take over so quickly that it will catch everyone by surprise.

This technology will take over so quickly that it will catch everyone by surprise.

I think the figures in the report surprised many and from the discussion I heard on it recently viewers like the cinema experience of the TV where you can sit back and watch the big screen with laptop, tablet or smartphone in your hand/lap as opposed to watching a movie or sports event on a smaller screen. Our TV screens are getting bigger not smaller.

News at One, August 27th, 2013
    http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0827/20427886-bai-research-shows-slow-change-in-tv-habits/
    http://www.rte.ie/news/news1pm/player.html?20130827,20427886,20427886,flash,232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Here's what he's on about:

Firstly, this is Ireland - not the UK.

Secondly, this is changing rapidly as we discuss it.

In around five years time the word 'television' as a descriptor will be obsolete. In ten years television as we know will have turned on it's head.

Ten years ago - effectively - there was no broadband or smart phones. now there are 150 Mb lines into HOUSES which are populated by a plethora of smart devices.

Which are being used to watch TV in many instances. For pure convenience.
    Look at your very first point, while things are changing they're not changing that fast (in this country anyway!) This is Ireland!

There are very few houses that have 150mb in this country, Netfilx have us 2nd bottom of seven countries they serve.

I have several relatives over 55 who use computers and tablets, none of them would even consider watching tv on them (screen too small) Most of my family over 55 don't use computers or tablets in any real way, they'll never watch tv on anything but TV.

Change happens very quickly but it doesn't happen evenly.... Drop a 14 year old back into the year 1998 and almost all that he or she is used to tech wise now was available in some format then. Drop them back 8 years earlier to 1990 and they'd be totally lost.

Look at your very first point, while things are changing they're not changing that fast (in this country anyway!) This is Ireland!

There are very few houses that have 150mb in this country, Netfilx have us 2nd bottom of seven countries they serve.

I have several relatives over 55 who use computers and tablets, none of them would even consider watching tv on them (screen too small) Most of my family over 55 don't use computers or tablets in any real way, they'll never watch tv on anything but TV.

Change happens very quickly but it doesn't happen evenly.... Drop a 14 year old back into the year 1998 and almost all that he or she is used to tech wise now was available in some format then. Drop them back 8 years earlier to 1990 and they'd be totally lost.

Look at your point about relations. You mention those over 55. There is a whole generation coming through which will change the face of this. No two ways about it.

• Advertisement

I think the figures in the report surprised many and from the discussion I heard on it recently viewers like the cinema experience of the TV where you can sit back and watch the big screen with laptop, tablet or smartphone in your hand/lap as opposed to watching a movie or sports event on a smaller screen. Our TV screens are getting bigger not smaller.

News at One, August 27th, 2013
    http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0827/20427886-bai-research-shows-slow-change-in-tv-habits/
    http://www.rte.ie/news/news1pm/player.html?20130827,20427886,20427886,flash,232

I must disagree profoundly. We are acing into the remains of what will become a rollercoaster decade technology-wise.

Look at your point about relations. You mention those over 55. There is a whole generation coming through which will change the face of this. No two ways about it.

Yes you're 100 percent correct about the generations coming through. I don't disagree at all. However, we're not there yet. The Media old and new tend to latch onto big figures especially when there's a sniff of change. We're a very long way from the majority watching on hand held devices or on a computer.

People like a big screen. There are even tablets coming on the market that have a projector attached. So you can have your big picture coming from a hand held device.

This could be a big change decade but then again we might stall a little. This has always been the case since the 1800's. One decade where there are major advances and then everything slows down so everyone can catch up.

The argument can be made that these are different times but that same argument has been made by youth since year zero...or the sixties.

Yes you're 100 percent correct about the generations coming through. I don't disagree at all. However, we're not there yet. The Media old and new tend to latch onto big figures especially when there's a sniff of change. We're a very long way from the majority watching on hand held devices or on a computer.

People like a big screen. There are even tablets coming on the market that have a projector attached. So you can have your big picture coming from a hand held device.

This could be a big change decade but then again we might stall a little. This has always been the case since the 1800's. One decade where there are major advances and then everything slows down so everyone can catch up.

The argument can be made that these are different times but that same argument has been made by youth since year zero...or the sixties.

The difference is, though, the pace of the change this time around.

The difference is, though, the pace of the change this time around.

You might be right but then again you might not be. Tablets have been around a good few years now and they're still not an everyday item, They do appear to pop up more and more but most people don't have them. Smartphones do seem to have made a breakthrough finally but if you remember 3 were promoting watching TV on their phones in 2006. I have some knowledge of that as I helped to create some of the 3 content which almost no one watched! It's seven years later and TV on Phones is still not very popular. (I,m talking about broadcast TV and not 2 minute youtube clips)

We have to be wary of looking at the world from inside our own bubbles. I use a mac, a pc, have a tablet, god knows how many e-readers and various phones, but I wouldn't be normal. Most around me outside of Work have a smart phone and that's about it and they would never watch TV on that.

I used to have broadband in America in 2001, Watched TV3 news which was streamed for a while back then, most other people only had dial up and watched a realplayer verison of RTE News and listened to Radio One. It's 12 years later and the quality has gone way up but that change happened back then.

Yes the world is changing, but not as fast you might think. Your typical Man or Woman on the street wants things to work well, once that happens they tend not to change. Phones are the exception to the rule, they're the one consumer Item that changes often and that's because change is subsided by the phone companies. Everyone that has an Iphone appears to be on a contract.

Everyone would watch on tablets in the Morning if they were free or close to free. That probably isn't going to happen.

The pace of change you talk about already happened, but it was 20 years ago. In 1992 mobile phones were no where to be seen (expensive and too big) The world wide web was nowhere at all, and TV was totally analogue, by 1998 I had a mobile as did all my friends, The internet was up and running as you'd understand it today...if a little slow and SKY had introduced Digital TV....and that's only for starters.

If I take you back to 2008 can you show me something that you couldn't do then that you can do now?

You might be right but then again you might not be. Tablets have been around a good few years now and they're still not an everyday item, They do appear to pop up more and more but most people don't have them. Smartphones do seem to have made a breakthrough finally but if you remember 3 were promoting watching TV on their phones in 2006. I have some knowledge of that as I helped to create some of the 3 content which almost no one watched! It's seven years later and TV on Phones is still not very popular. (I,m talking about broadcast TV and not 2 minute youtube clips)

We have to be wary of looking at the world from inside our own bubbles. I use a mac, a pc, have a tablet, god knows how many e-readers and various phones, but I wouldn't be normal. Most around me outside of Work have a smart phone and that's about it and they would never watch TV on that.

I used to have broadband in America in 2001, Watched TV3 news which was streamed for a while back then, most other people only had dial up and watched a realplayer verison of RTE News and listened to Radio One. It's 12 years later and the quality has gone way up but that change happened back then.

Yes the world is changing, but not as fast you might think. Your typical Man or Woman on the street wants things to work well, once that happens they tend not to change. Phones are the exception to the rule, they're the one consumer Item that changes often and that's because change is subsided by the phone companies. Everyone that has an Iphone appears to be on a contract.

Everyone would watch on tablets in the Morning if they were free or close to free. That probably isn't going to happen.

The pace of change you talk about already happened, but it was 20 years ago. In 1992 mobile phones were no where to be seen (expensive and too big) The world wide web was nowhere at all, and TV was totally analogue, by 1998 I had a mobile as did all my friends, The internet was up and running as you'd understand it today...if a little slow and SKY had introduced Digital TV....and that's only for starters.

If I take you back to 2008 can you show me something that you couldn't do then that you can do now?

Point taken. Like you, I would be a techie of sorts, but I do believe we're looking into an acceleration of technology.

Look at Netflix and Horizon for example.

Point taken. Like you, I would be a techie of sorts, but I do believe we're looking into an acceleration of technology.

You see the problem here is that I would like you to be right in the sense that we go forward. I think Technology will move
    ahead but perhaps not at the pace that you think. Obviously time will tell us who's right and wrong. I feel I'm not pessimistic but realistic.
    Everything that's coming out now has been around in some form for years. The new watches that came out yesterday are nice but there
    have been watches that will do all kinds of fancy things for at least a decade.

However, the question here is Ireland. You mention Horizon, which is nice if you live in Dublin, but 75% of the population don't have access and never will have access to cable. Netfilx is great but I've tried to use in three different locations. It either wouldn't connect at all or it kept buffering.

This thread starts with the introduction of ENG in 1985. RTE took this up quickly because it was a huge improvement on film. Colour was a huge improvement on Black and White. For most people watching TV on a tablet is a step back (in Ireland anyway)

This Cable and digital board has been around for years. Progress has always been slow when it comes to TV and broadcasting in Ireland and if anything it only appears to get slower. It took the government 10 or so years to sort out the radio licensing situation. That now seems fast comparing to the carry on with Television in this country.

Remember TV3 got a license to broadcast in 1990, It took 8 years (and a huge amount of messing about) for a service to go on air.

We still only have one HD service on Saorview and it's 2013.

There is a big difference between acceleration of technology and services actually offered to the public. Even when those services are on offer the public are slow to take them up if they're not free or very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There's no doubt that the trend is there. If we are looking to the future, where are the kids (teenagers, not toddlers) watching TV? What can TAM
    tell us about that?

The parallel? Where are people drinking? Been down to the local rural/suburban pub lately?

murphd77 wrote: »
    There's no doubt that the trend is there. If we are looking to the future, where are the kids (teenagers, not toddlers) watching TV? What can TAM
    tell us about that?

The parallel? Where are people drinking? Been down to the local rural/suburban pub lately?

Teenagers I know are into Sky Sports and they have the SKY GO app, and they almost never use it. It's there if it's needed but they want to watch the football on the big screen. If we say the typical person from these Islands watches TV for 4 hours a day, they're usually at home when this happens. (I say these Islands because we watch a lot more TV than Mainland Europe) If they're at home they'll use the biggest screen available. Most teenagers have a TV in their room.

Obviously, this will all evolve. TV will change and the way we interact with it will change over the coming years. It's the pace that it will happen at that is the question. A lot of that has to do with services provided and the conservative nature of Irish people when it comes to entertainment.

As for the TAM Ireland stuff, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. It's an organization that always appeared to be behind the times. I always got the feelings that the TAM boxes where only put into 2 channel land houses in the 80's as the figures always seemed wildly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I remember in the early to mid 90s someone coming to the parents house with the idea of connecting us with a TAM box til they discovered that there were 7 kids in the house (myself included). Based on that discovery they declined being that it was meant only for nuclear families (2 Parents and 2 children). As you can imagine myself and my siblings were disappointed especially so whenever there was a programme on the TV that the father didn't approve off and would say"stop giving them a TAM rating", we acting as the father's remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Teenagers I know are into Sky Sports and they have the SKY GO app, and they almost never use it. It's there if it's needed but they want to watch the football on the big screen. If we say the typical person from these Islands watches TV for 4 hours a day, they're usually at home when this happens. (I say these Islands because we watch a lot more TV than Mainland Europe) If they're at home they'll use the biggest screen available. Most teenagers have a TV in their room.

Fair enough. Sports, which tend to be live, will always be important in determining the viewing platform. So kids who are into sports will of course gravitate towards live TV if their parents have a subscription (most teenagers do not have a subscription themselves, but of course you know that).

The same might hold true for the Rose of Tralee for those teenagers who get off on that sort of thing.

But when it comes to the drama and reality stuff (whether it's Cake Boss or Breaking Bad), I don't know many kids who wait for this to be on RTE/terrestrial/cable. Sure, the wait might be only weeks or days, but pfff why not just stream it on one of these virus-encrusted websites?

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Sports, which tend to be live, will always be important in determining the viewing platform. So kids who are into sports will of course gravitate towards live TV if their parents have a subscription (most teenagers do not have a subscription themselves, but of course you know that).

The same might hold true for the Rose of Tralee for those teenagers who get off on that sort of thing.

But when it comes to the drama and reality stuff (whether it's Cake Boss or Breaking Bad), I don't know many kids who wait for this to be on RTE/terrestrial/cable. Sure, the wait might be only weeks or days, but pfff why not just stream it on one of these virus-encrusted websites?

I'd agree entirely about those kids who don't wait for it to appear on various TV channels. They don't stream it in my experience (Irish internet speeds are too low) in general they just download. However, once they have the download they go to the TV set in their living room or Bedroom, plug in the memory stick to the USB socket and they watch on the big screen. Obviously this isn't always the case but Long form Drama, Comedy and Cinema just doesn't work as well on smaller screens.

Advertisement