Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the point in a degree

Options
  • 17-08-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

In the last year of a degree and during my exams I had someone inform me that he applied to The Charted institute of Building without any formal qualifications and after setting in a few sample reports was able to become a member....a member who he insists he was told is the same as a degree.

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/ciob-membership-equivalent-to-a-degree I tried pointing out that is not the case and the proudly showed me this link...does this mean I am wasting my time studying Engineering when all I need to do is fill in a form, have an interview and away I go...Construction Project manager here I come..please tell me that this is all a load of twoddle and degree equivalents do not come from filling out forms.

Comments

Getting a job certainly isn't the point of a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

In the last year of a degree and during my exams I had someone inform me that he applied to The Charted institute of Building without any formal qualifications and after setting in a few sample reports was able to become a member....a member who he insists he was told is the same as a degree.

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/ciob-membership-equivalent-to-a-degree I tried pointing out that is not the case and the proudly showed me this link...does this mean I am wasting my time studying Engineering when all I need to do is fill in a form, have an interview and away I go...Construction Project manager here I come..please tell me that this is all a load of twoddle and degree equivalents do not come from filling out forms.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

Yes what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Yes what?

Yes please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Membership might not mean Chartered membership.

You can join IEI as a student member.. I think there is some level of membership below associate membership too. Anyway, that's a lot different from 'chartered membership'.

• Advertisement

I understand that...but how is a review and writing a few sample reports the same as a degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Yes what?

yes , you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well nobody in my strip club empire is going to hire you without a degree.

My dancers are intelligent, genuine girls who are looking to chat, flirt and strip with you!

No "I have a diploma" hussies in my stable of bitches. No sireee..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I'm a chartered member of the CIOB as well as a chartered surveyor. Becoming a chartered member usually requires a recognised degree (usually to level 8). The only way I can see people getting chartered is if they have maybe 10 years experience but no formal qualification, or maybe having a trade plus experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I understand that...but how is a review and writing a few sample reports the same as a degree?

If you're responding to me, I am saying that your friend likely got some kind of basic membership for his reports & practical experience, the "equivalent to a degree"-membership is likely to have much higher requirements, either passing some institute exams equivalent to your ones, or having actually done degree exams as you've done.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well nobody in my strip club empire is going to hire you without a degree.

My dancers are intelligent, genuine girls who are looking to chat, flirt and strip with you!

No "I have a diploma" hussies in my stable of bitches. No sireee..

now this sounds like a company I do want to work for...no so much at the auld stripping though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Says it shows competence comparable to that of a bachelors degree. Doesnt mean its gonna be worth as much as a degree in the industry which I cant imagine it would be.

Then again I dont really know what this thing actually is.

If you're responding to me, I am saying that your friend likely got some kind of basic membership for his reports & practical experience, the "equivalent to a degree"-membership is likely to have much higher requirements, either passing some institute exams equivalent to your ones, or having actually done degree exams as you've done.

Though as much..it would make a mockery of the education system if you can skip the 4 years and fill out a form. isn't that what DBS college is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The construction industry is probably the worst regulated industry in Ireland and that includes banking.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The construction industry is probably the worst regulated industry in Ireland and that includes banking.
    This was the UK body but yeah I'd say no different at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

now this sounds like a company I do want to work for...no so much at the auld stripping though

Well we could maybe find you some work in the 'oiling-up & glitter' department.

As long as you have a degree though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This was the UK body but yeah I'd say no different at all.

Its the same everywhere in the world apart from Scandinavian countries, Norway especially.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well we could maybe find you some work in the 'oiling-up & glitter' department.

As long as you have a degree though!

Ok I will finish it based of the oiling up job offer

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

First filter requirement is a degree, that's the value of most degrees. You get your foot in the door with it. Without any formal education you'd hit a career roadblock regardless of how experienced you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Detective Mittens

Unfortunately degrees have transformed from professional training and education to just something you tell people you have to tick a box. People go to 3rd level now just to get the degree, "out of the way" and then go off doing something else while gradually forgetting all they have learned.

People don't seem to care what they are learning. And HR are letting them get away with it, with grad programmes and jobs requiring "A degree in any discipline" we don't care.

I just realised my I'm pointing out the exact opposite problem OP has found,

• Advertisement

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    I'm a chartered member of the CIOB as well as a chartered surveyor. Becoming a chartered member usually requires a recognised degree (usually to level 8). The only way I can see people getting chartered is if they have maybe 10 years experience but no formal qualification, or maybe having a trade plus experience.

think this might be the case but still does it not belittle the whole degree thing if someone can take these short cuts and avoid the academic slog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Many people don't have any degrees and have well paid jobs.

It's not about pay, we are talking standards. Someone who was a site foreman who has zero IT skills and no formal qualifications is gloating that they have submitted a few forms, had an interview and is Chartered is making a mockery of those who choose the proper route for these things..that is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Well one degree = 0.0174532925 radians. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Unfortunately degrees have transformed from professional training and education to just something you tell people you have to tick a box. People go to 3rd level now just to get the degree, "out of the way" and then go off doing something else while gradually forgetting all they have learned.

It's about more than that. College is a step up from school in that no one really gives a **** whether you turn up or not and it really is up to you to get the job done. There's also the fact that college assignments are generally more about problem solving and arguing a case, which are useful skills in any professional job, whereas in school, well an ox bow lake is an ox bow lake no matter how prosaically you describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He may have become a member but that won't be much use to him at an interview when they want to know what qualifications a he has and details of work experience.

Advertisement