Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat coughing problems.

Options
  • 17-08-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

My cat has been coughing and spluttering since yesterday. It’s gotten worse today and is now petty much constant. He won’t let us cuddle him which is really weird for him as that’s all he ever wants to do. He’s not eating and has vomited a few times. He’s just hiding behind a potted plant in our yard and is clearly uncomfortable and is trying to sleep but keeps coughing while holding his eyes closed.

Yesterday we thought it was just a fur ball but we’re not so sure now. He does spend time indoors but he is mostly an outdoor cat. So he could have swallowed something or anything. It does seem like he's trying to expel something. But I could be wrong.

Basically we’re wondering is there something we could do or give him? We can’t contact a vet as it’s the weekend.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Personally I'd be contacting a vet if it's been going on that long and it's only getting worse. Most vets will have an out of hours number that you can contact, they may be able to give you advice over the phone that may help or arrange to meet you in the clinic for a consult.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Sounds similar to what my lad had last year. Coughing up for two day, he ate a bit but this soon came back up, and having no food in his stomach was still coughing, mainly liquid full of hair. He has been known for coughing hairballs before so at the beginning I was not too worried, but he started making these horrific noises, like long painful cries and then he started to fall over when he shook his head. He hid in corners. Took him to the Vet and he prescribed steroids, in total he was on steroids for best part of a month. Gradually I got him back on food, reducing the steroids but it took a good couple of months for him to be OK and he lost loads of weight. Vet was not sure what it was and if he was not improving they would have done bloods but thankfully he did. I invested in a Furmagator as I do think that it was hair as he was coughing up so much. He now regularly gets combed with the Furmagator and amazed the amount of hair that I get off with that as opposed to the other comb I had.

Hope your is much better soon.

Advertisement