Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's Picture Book - question

Options
  • 17-08-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am always writing short stories for children, and recently I adapted one such story to suit a picture book.

I'm been thinking about submitting my PB to some publishers, but there is conflicting information online about the formatting of the manuscript. Some say that you should just lay out the manuscript like a regular story, and others say you should put each 'page' of the picture book on a separate page as it would potentially appear in the finished PB.

Does anyone have any further insights into the Irish/UK publishers and what they prefer? I've been looking online but I keep seeing both methods suggested as a template. The publishers themselves don't lay out specific manuscript guidelines beyond numbering the pages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The Irish publishers just want the MS as a regular MS, without any special formatting. If they accept it, they will arrange artwork themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

I figured as much Eileen, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

If you're just doing the text, should be all on one page (or two, at a push!). You could still break it up as you hope it would be broken up in the finished book, but with paragraphs rather than page breaks. (And even then an editor/publisher may disagree with where the breaks should come.)

(If you're illustrating as well, sometimes people put together a 'dummy' copy - but no need to worry about that if you're text-only!)

Good luck!

Advertisement