Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kiddies savings

Options
  • 17-08-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, can anyone advise. I save 1O euro a week for my son, he's currently 1and a half. I save in the credit union for him but i now feel this is a waste as he gets no interest and its not as if he'd be getting a loan. Can anyone recommend an account or savings bond that would let me save this small amount but get a good return to start building a nest egg for my son for school or holidays when he's older etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

EBS pay 2.26% AER up to 5,000 EUR for under 12 year olds. Best return for kids if you want the account in the kids name.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Most of the products marketed as kids savings accounts are actually quite poor. When your child us a bit older, then there might be some learning value in his having his own account, to balance out the poor return. The Ask About Money website has a very good list of best rates of return on savings accounts. I'd suggest picking the best of those at least until the child is old enough to have some basic understanding of how to operate the account himself.

Advertisement