Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography portfolio

Options
  • 17-08-2013 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm starting 6th year and am starting my photography portfolio. I have lots of content but am not sure how many pieces to include, how to lay it out or what to include in the notebook. Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

AudRH wrote: »
    I'm starting 6th year and am starting my photography portfolio. I have lots of content but am not sure how many pieces to include, how to lay it out or what to include in the notebook. Any help would be really appreciated.

I've been through the portfolio-selection for Visual Arts so I can't help you with specifics but from talking to people, it seems selection and presentation are key rather than any set amount of photographs.

Make sure your finished pieces are presented in a clear, uncluttered way. No distractions. So maybe display them separately in a folder, all printed the same size. You want the person looking at them to be able to see the photos without being interrupted and to 'get' the point you wanted to get across with each photograph. Backup work, notebooks and test shots for finished pieces would be good as well.

If you're including notebooks, hopefully they're legible and easy to flip through. If not, don't feel against indicating which pages are most important (without being too obvious :) ). My notebooks were and are a mish-mash of ideas and sketches so I cleaned up important pages with a rubber and added some notations.

Also since your portfolio will be on trial and not you, make sure your notes and works speak for themselves and look their best. Show off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Also try to come to the open days (22,23 nov). Meet current students and the people who'll be viewing the portfolio. You can ask any questions you may still have.

Advertisement