Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's For a De-United Ireland?

Options
  • 17-08-2013 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

The recent thread showed that the majortiy of AHers don't want a United Ireland for practical reasons, so, how about a de-united one?

As anyone with any understanding of Irish history will tell you, the idea of one political entity governing all of the Ireland is a British one and only ever happened when the British imposed it by force from the 1600s on. Left to our own devices we always had a mix of tiny lordships feeding into more provincial lordships. The simplified primiary school version would be the 5 provinces we were taught about.

So how about we go back to that? I think the people of Munster and Oriel etc. have as much right to self-determination as anyone else and those entities would have existed far longer than the modern Republic of Ireland.

Think of the fun we could have if our island was a patchwork of republics, lordships and kingdoms. Think of the tourism benefits. As the RoI Ltd. would no longer exist we could repudiate all of the bank debt.

Maybe Connacht could turn itself into a tax free zone a la Andorra and we'd all go there at the weekends to buy our booze and cigarettes. Regional accents would become national accents etc. If you were from another principalityto Leinster Twink wouldn't be a fellow countryman....

The benefits are endless as far as I can see.

Who's ready to take a little pride in their medieval roots and deconstruct this artifical state?

(Before anyone panics this would in no way alter the county structure of the GAA and the championship)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The Healy Rae Kingdom of Munster.....sure the coronation could be more fire torches

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Who's ready to take a little pride in their medieval roots and deconstruct this artifical state?

Can you hold on until after the weekend?, just I have a wedding to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Wallace Land

We'll build the finest cities and it will a tax free haven

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No we should have a Game of Thrones style island.

Dublin can be King's Landing, Limerick can be Casterly Rock, Cork can be Oldtown, Donegal - Winterfell, Galway - Highgarden, Kerry - The Vale and so on.

And then we beat shite out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

wazky wrote: »
    Can you hold on until after the weekend?, just I have a wedding to go to.

No , no we can't , this is a very serious issue.You are either with us or against us.

Are any of the bridesmaids hot ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

We already had a Republic of Connaught for a while in 1798!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

mattjack wrote: »

Are any of the bridesmaids hot ?

I wouldn't be going if they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If we can expunge Fianna Fail forever I'd be all for it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    No we should have a Game of Thrones style island.

Dublin can be King's Landing, Limerick can be Casterly Rock, Cork can be Oldtown, Donegal - Winterfell, Galway - Highgarden, Kerry - The Vale and so on.

And then we beat shite out of each other.

We might need to build a 700ft high wall around the 6 counties also

wazky wrote: »
    I wouldn't be going if they weren't.

I was at a wedding recently in Kerry , two of the bridesmaid looked like they could've have played for the All Blacks , the third one looked like Britney Spears in her Smurf video .
    Anyway mrs Mattjack told me to stop drinking about 10.30 pm , just after I asked what I thought was the bar manager to bring a pint to where I was sitting , how was I to know he was the Brides Father ?

• Advertisement

calanus wrote: »

Yes that's crucial.

It'll be great cos we can make all the thieves and other criminals join the Night's Watch or be jailed for life so we free up the prisons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Brilliant, just think of our increased chance of another win in the eurovision with 4 or 5 entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

But WHICH six ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Well we already have the people's republic of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Well we already have the people's republic of Cork.

Pfff Cork is useless. The county that lost the Nine Years War for us. Thanks for nothing Cork..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

De-united?

Is this international gibberish day or something?

De-united?

Is this international gibberish day or something?

No , we,re all happy here , you wander back over to the thread uniting Ireland.
    There's a good lad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

mattjack wrote: »
    No , we,re all happy here , you wander back over to the thread uniting Ireland.
    There's a good lad .

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Orange-walkers? I mean, if Paisley didn't shave for a while, be basically would be the fella with the ice-sword. Orange eyes instead of ice-blue ones, too.

It also wouldn't take much effort to subsitute to Iron Island with the Aran Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I was at a meeting for a startup political party a couple of years ago which proposed to reorganise the country into a sort of federation of 5 or 6 Irish states, each with a local constitution and better autonomy. The idea was to try get better separation of national level and local level politics. Stop TDs getting elected because they sorted out potholes and church roofs.

It was a bold and very ambitions idea, which of course means it was doomed to be totally ignored.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    It also wouldn't take much effort to subsitute to Iron Island with the Aran Islands.

Here.

Advertisement