Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age Of Conan: Unchained

Options
  • 17-08-2013 5:48am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone playing it? Noticed it as free on Steam after blitzing through RE6-Steam and figured I'd download it as something to try out when I was finished with the other game.

I didn't expect it to catch on, seeing as I've been on/off quitting WoW for months until recently where it became an 'actual' quit so I figured another MMORPG would get on my nerves, especially after also quitting Allods Online which is a very polished P2W MMORPG I was involved in alongside WoW for quite some time.

Either way, it did catch on and been playing it pretty hard for the last week or two - It twangs a string in my brain very similar to how old Gothic & Gothic II did, except it just feels like a 'multiplayer' version of that old classic - Some of the locations and music just scream GOTHIC II at me, and I loved that series.

Sure, bit dated in places and flawed as all hell, plus I hear Funcom (The F2P people) have butchered certain aspects of it but otherwise it's been pretty fun.

Level 50 Cimmerian Guardian and a level 15 Priest of Mitra on Crom server at the moment - I can see myself making a push for level 80, though I'm torn between the characters. Guardian is solid but pretty stale to play whereas Priest is a total squishy gamble and a bit more fun.

Done some searches for Age of Conan on "Games" and now here, hasn't been much discussion of it within a year - I'll assume it's very much on the quiet side :p

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played it on and off for years before it went F2P.
    I enjoyed it a lot up to a point that point being endgame raids,i got myself into a pretty top end guild to see the raiding content but it was poor imo, everything from raid/dungeon design and artwork to boss mechanics was just poor compared to the rest of the game.
    I have a conquerer and priest of Mitra @ lvl 80.
    Very good combat too it has to be said,i bought the expansion when released but performance was terrible with very long zone loading times,shame as some of the zones looked amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I played it for a while last year. Even then there were few people in the starting areas, god knows what its like now.

But like you I quite enjoyed it, but the stupid playability issues did my head in eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I played a fair bit when it was on sub. The classes are some of the best of all time. The necro was an aoe god. The HoX is brilliant to play.
    The Bear Shaman, what a brilliant class after level 20! All in all I haven't seen classes as good as these in any other mmorpg.

I think I had a ToS, BS, Hox, barb, Guard and Necro all 80. Getting to 80 was really easy. Just level up past tortage and then join a zerg train in the 60 to 80 area, as long as there was a tos and necro you'd be burning through the levels and have level 79 gear to boot ^ ^.

I might start it up again, but the restrictions are a pain. Also the UI is crap, there was a mirage menu addon that was good, but every time they patched AoC they broke it, which was really annoying.

I started the secret world recently and its great fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The Bear Shaman, what a brilliant class after level 20! All in all I haven't seen classes as good as these in any other mmorpg.
    Funny you say that. When I started this back in 2009ish, I chose bear shaman and gave up after reaching level 18. Found it near impossible to survive encounters with more than 2 mobs.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's the same for all of them bar the full on AoE class - Even my tank struggles to survive at times when trying to mass-grind and it made me feel very bogged down and unhappy that my 'tank' wasn't even able to survive basic fights (Was especially depressing in the earlier 10-20 levels when I felt like any other squishy target despite my average [for level] gear and sword'n'board], but it becomes progressively easier at 20+ and now she's off tanking 5-8 Cannibals per pull and mincing them down... It's not a speedy process but it's still a bit quicker than taking on fights 1v1 - And in most cases that's not possible anyways considering how packed the later areas are with mobs.

I don't know why but I feel I burned myself out with AoC pretty early - Which is a shame as I invested in a few very very cheap credit shop items at the time just to support the game seeing as I had been playing it a lot - Even got a Priest to about 15 now and quite enjoy it but overall I've ended up not playing Conan and instead taken an interest in "Vindictus" and "Tera Rising", both also free to play MMORPGs.

That's not really a reflection on age of conan, that's a reflection on all mmorpgs really. No matter how good a game is, we all move on.

• Advertisement

a month? Unfortunately you went with the wrong classes for interest ^ ^.
    The HoX is for my money the most exciting class of any game. Whereas the PoM and the guardian are real sloggers.

I've leveled all the classes to max, the guardian being my first. I was happily playing my guardian until I saw a tempest of seth go pull up to 20 mobs are kill them all in about 10 seconds, so I wanted a tempest ^ ^.

Afer that I saw a HoX take down 20 mobs in less that 10 seconds and I wanted one.

But the most OP class to play has to be the necro, my god they can kill unlimited numbers in seconds.

When AoC started all the classes were like gods with crazy damage. The king of damage was the pole-arm guardian actually, but the forums for AoC are some of the vilest places to visit. people were crying all day every day about class balance to the point where funcom spent every update nerfing classes.

Which was a shame.

Advertisement