Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about overall Grade in Final Year.

Options
  • 17-08-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what happens usually if your overall grade in final year is a 59%? (ie one percent short of a 2.1). I know if that happened in a single subject the lecturer might bump you up, but does it happen overall as well?

Basically my situation is I'm sitting on a 60% grade average but repeated an exam where I did well enough to pass, but probably not enough to get 60%. Worst case scenario is I get 40% and it only drags my average down to 58.3%. So I'm just wondering will I need to get 60 in this exam, or is there margin for error.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what happens usually if your overall grade in final year is a 59%? (ie one percent short of a 2.1). I know if that happened in a single subject the lecturer might bump you up, but does it happen overall as well?

Basically my situation is I'm sitting on a 60% grade average but repeated an exam where I did well enough to pass, but probably not enough to get 60%. Worst case scenario is I get 40% and it only drags my average down to 58.3%. So I'm just wondering will I need to get 60 in this exam, or is there margin for error.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I know someone who got 59%, 2.2 I'm afraid.. Maybe if the lecturer knew the situation they'd bump it up but how could they know really unless you tell then or something I guess..If you go down to 58.3 then you're a long off 60 in fairness..Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

It was always my understanding that if you repeated an exam 40% was the highest mark given..even if you did better than that the extra marks aren't awarded.. I don't know if that changes for different faculties though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    It was always my understanding that if you repeated an exam 40% was the highest mark given..even if you did better than that the extra marks aren't awarded.. I don't know if that changes for different faculties though

http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_records/documents/ms_fulltime_ug_degree_progs_cd_12_m3_4_1_1_edit26nov12.pdf
    5.6 Capping of Examination Marks
    The marks at a repeat or deferred examination will not be capped unless a cap has
    been recommended by the University’s Examination Security Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Usually, you'll get bumped up if you're highly borderline (58-59.9%) but this is at the discretion of the examining board. I know people who’ve been given 59s and 69s and not bumped up mainly as they didn’t show up to tutorials and so on.
    If you’ve fairly consistently reached a 2.1 standard then I’d say you’d have a good chance of having your grades increased to give you a 2.1. overall. They’re not likely to let you hang for a single bad exam if you’ve otherwise been alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 veryoriginal

Thanks for the input guys

Advertisement