Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish wedding speech

Options
  • 17-08-2013 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dia dhuit
    Im looking for a little bit of help - I am due to get married in ireland in February 2014 however unfortunately I am not irish. I would love to stand up and speak quite a few sentences in Irish but unfortunately my irish only stretches as far as slainte...
    So....I was wondering does anyone have any clever ideas for a few sentences I could say as gaeilige? And even better could you write them phonetically and with a translation so that 1. I know how to pronounce the words and 2. I know you're not making me say something rude/daft.
    Ps I'm not fussy re content -just the normal wedding fare - thanks for travelling so far, thanks for making the effort, great to have all friends in one place etc etc...
    Thanks for any help
    Slan
    Anon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Dia dhuit
    Im looking for a little bit of help - I am due to get married in ireland in February 2014 however unfortunately I am not irish. I would love to stand up and speak quite a few sentences in Irish but unfortunately my irish only stretches as far as slainte...
    So....I was wondering does anyone have any clever ideas for a few sentences I could say as gaeilige? And even better could you write them phonetically and with a translation so that 1. I know how to pronounce the words and 2. I know you're not making me say something rude/daft.
    Ps I'm not fussy re content -just the normal wedding fare - thanks for travelling so far, thanks for making the effort, great to have all friends in one place etc etc...
    Thanks for any help
    Slan
    Anon.

You'd have more of a chance of getting a response if you gave the sentences you wanted to say, in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Here's my best shot but I know there are probably some errors and it's fairly basic Irish. Maybe better to let someone correct me before using it! "kh" is like the German "ch" or the Arabic kh sound.

- Hello friends, you're all very welcome here to our special day.

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde, tá fáilte roimh go dtí ár lá spesíalte. (Deeyeev a khordje, taw fawltche roiv g'jee awr law spesheelte).

- We're so grateful to those who've travelled from far away to be with us today.

An-buíochas le gach duine a tháinig ó thar lar a bheith linn inniú. (On-bweekhas le gakh dinne a hawnig oh har lar aveh linn innyoo).

- Doesn't the bride look amazing?!!

Nach í an bean is-álainn sa domhan mo bhean-úsail?! (Nokhee an ban issawlin sadowan m'van oossil!).

- Thank you all and enjoy your evening!

Go raibh míle maith agaoibh agus bainigí taitneamh as an oíche! (g'rameele mahagiv agus bwinnigy tahniv assan eekhe).

Again, a big disclaimer applies to use of the above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Multilingual

That's fantastic fwvt, thanks very much indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

FWVT wrote: »
    - Hello friends, you're all very welcome here to our special day.

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde, agus fáilte go dtí ár lá speisialta. (Deeyeev a khordje, ogus fawltche g'jee awr law spesheelte).

- We're so grateful to those who've travelled from far away to be with us today.

Tá muid fíorbuíoch doibh a tháinig ó thar lar le bheith linn inniú. (taw muid fear-bueeokh dohiv a hawnig oh har lar le veh linn innyoo).

- Doesn't the bride look amazing?!!

Nach í an bean is-álainn ar domhan mo bhean-úsail?! (Nokhee an ban issawlin sadowan m'van oossil!).

- Thank you all and enjoy your evening!

Go raibh míle maith agaibh agus bainigí taitneamh as an oíche! (g'rameele mahagiv agus bwinnigy tahniv assan eekhe).

Some suggested corrections, wait for some other posters who have a better grasp of the language though.

Also, its funny how similar the phonetics are to Manxs Gaelic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Dóibh siúd. Leave out "ó". Very Englishy. Béarlachas IMO.

An bhean is áille

Mo bhean-uasail.

I would say "...fáilte romhaibh...".

For the last part I'd change the translation to "nach í an bhean is áille sa domhan".

• Advertisement
Advertisement