Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Societies

Options
  • 16-08-2013 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm an advanced entry student that will be starting in WIT this September. I will going into third year of a course where students will already have their established cliques and because I'm probably a little bit older than most of my class I would like to join a club or society to expand my social life at WIT. The problem is that most of the clubs and societies advertised on the WIT website are either centred on sport or what you are studying (i.e. Law, Business etc.)

Are there any other clubs that are not advertised like say film, games or even a mature student society? I know there's a Pimp MY Club/ Society/ Event thread but no one has posted anything to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I'm an advanced entry student that will be starting in WIT this September. I will going into third year of a course where students will already have their established cliques and because I'm probably a little bit older than most of my class I would like to join a club or society to expand my social life at WIT. The problem is that most of the clubs and societies advertised on the WIT website are either centred on sport or what you are studying (i.e. Law, Business etc.)

Are there any other clubs that are not advertised like say film, games or even a mature student society? I know there's a Pimp MY Club/ Society/ Event thread but no one has posted anything to it.

There is a society for each of these every year :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Societies come and go. What's there last year may not be there this year.

The pimp thread is used only for folk on the internet who want to plug their society, rather than WIT to come on and give us a list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

I would be interested in a mature students society - not sure I could keep up with he teenagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

callaway92 wrote: »
    There is a society for each of these every year :)

Thanks, I figured there had to be more societies that weren't listed especially a mature student society.
    sugoo69 wrote: »
    I would be interested in a mature students society - not sure I could keep up with he teenagers

I know what you mean. I'm only about 3-4 years older than most of the students in my old course but it makes a big difference at times. Sometimes you just need to talk to an "adult"

I have children that are the age most first time round students are so I know that I dont have the drinking stamina anymore, nor it has to be said do I want it!! Its all well and good but there is little less elegant than a drunken 40 something trying to be friends with peole who are younger than some of her shoes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ismellokay

I really hope there is a Mature student one!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can view a rough list of societies / clubs etc here;

http://www.wit.ie/current_students/sports_clubs_and_socs/Introduction

If there isnt mature student one we should start one!!! How do you go about doing that? How do we find out if there is one?? So many questions, all of which Im sure will be answered when I get there - just getting a bit impatient now! Havent been this excited about "back to school" stuff since my kids started school for the first time - how sad am I LOL!

Pop into the Clubs & Socs office and speak with Robin. He will tell you whether there is one or not :) There will be an open day in September for all Clubs & Socs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

If there isnt mature student one we should start one!!! How do you go about doing that? How do we find out if there is one?? So many questions, all of which Im sure will be answered when I get there - just getting a bit impatient now! Havent been this excited about "back to school" stuff since my kids started school for the first time - how sad am I LOL!

I'd say that there probably is one but if there's not I'd totally be up for starting one too. I'm just as bad with the back to school stuff as well. I'd say I have enough to last me for the next two years!
    Sully wrote: »
    Pop into the Clubs & Socs office and speak with Robin. He will tell you whether there is one or not :) There will be an open day in September for all Clubs & Socs.

Thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement

I was gertting together all my paper folders and hole punch etc.. today so very very very sad LOL - me thinks Im taking this a little too seriously. Still no admissions stuff - hope it comes soon!

I was gertting together all my paper folders and hole punch etc.. today so very very very sad LOL - me thinks Im taking this a little too seriously. Still no admissions stuff - hope it comes soon!

Usually end of August, welcome to WIT! You will get used to it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

No you're not. That's called being organised - make sure you keep it up being organised in any course is very very important. Being organised is only the start make the effort to use your enthusiasm to make the shift over to being dedicated - my two cents anyway...

I am by nature organised, I have had to be that way as a full time working mum of 2 kids it is just become my lifestyle over the last 20 years!! I was that really annoying woman who had the breakfast table laid the night before & a weeks worth of frozen home cooked meals in the freezer every sunday night! I find that lack of planning makes me frustrated.So Im guessing I might need to take a step back! OCD central arrrggghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I am by nature organised, I have had to be that way as a full time working mum of 2 kids it is just become my lifestyle over the last 20 years!! I was that really annoying woman who had the breakfast table laid the night before & a weeks worth of frozen home cooked meals in the freezer every sunday night! I find that lack of planning makes me frustrated.So Im guessing I might need to take a step back! OCD central arrrggghhh

Good stuff. At least you're enthusiastic try and keep it so you can transfer it in to the course itself when it comes around - I don't think there's much of a problem if you're over-prepared.

Advertisement