Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Squeeky Clean Oil Boiler

Options
  • 16-08-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Decided not to go for Gas and thanks for all your help with that lads, especially Shane007

2 Story house, about 900sq ft.
    8 Iron Rads 2/3 seldom used at all. System installed about 25/30 yrs old at a guess.

Existing Boiler: Grant Multi Pass 70/90 in Boiler house.

Controls: Thermostat & Timer in Hall. Zone valve on Hot Water Cylinder in Hot Press.

These basic controls suit are needs just perfect.

1. Regs say you have to fit a HE condensating boiler, but as we are not upgrading controls, would it not be better to fit a non HE boiler to this old system, isn’t that allowed in some cases, like this.

My understanding of HE boilers is to get the best out of them all parts of the system need to be A1 top notch, so would it not be a waste and likely to give rise to problems fitting one to an old basic system.

2. Costs:
    How much should I expect to pay for the following by a registered OFTEC installer going by the book with all the paperwork/certs being issued.

Remove and dispose of old boiler
    Supply and fit new Quality Make Boiler
    Powerflush system
    Add Inhibitor.
    Commision Boiler & Balance system etc.

How much extra to include these:

Magnaclean Filter, is this necessary on an oil boiler.
    Seal system.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

No matter what your existing system is like HE condensing boilers are more efficient. So the price difference of aprox €300-00 between standard boiler and a condensing is nothing compared to the extra thousands it will cost you/ or save, on fuel over the life span of the new boiler.
    Like the writing above its black and white, up to you. !!

If only you could hear from the amount of my customers who said, " If only we listened to your advice and changed years ago"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

danjo-xx wrote: »
    1. Regs say you have to fit a HE condensating boiler, but as we are not upgrading controls, would it not be better to fit a non HE boiler to this old system, isn’t that allowed in some cases, like this.

My understanding of HE boilers is to get the best out of them all parts of the system need to be A1 top notch, so would it not be a waste and likely to give rise to problems fitting one to an old basic system.

2. Costs:
    How much should I expect to pay for the following by a registered OFTEC installer going by the book with all the paperwork/certs being issued.

Not exactly correct. If you are replacing a boiler then it must be of the condensing type, unless certain situations are present which I have yet to see an installation that you cannot install a HE boiler. The regs also state that if you are replacing a boiler, time & temperature control should be installed to control each zone, max area 100m2. This is rarely abided by unless you are going to SEAI grant support.

Costs wise, oil boilers are more expensive than gas boilers plus pumps, aav's, prv's, etc. are extras where they come built into all system gas boilers.
    Best boiler on the market IMHO is the Grant Vortex. I am a service engineer for Grant so I am a little bias but they are truly the best one on the market by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I know gas is the way to go but a lot of other considerations have to be taken into account in my case. Looks like I'll be sticking with oil.
    Best boiler on the market IMHO is the Grant Vortex. I am a service engineer for Grant so I am a little bias but they are truly the best one on the market by far.

Like Gas Boilers, do new oil boilers have to be installed by a registered OFTEC installer only for the manufacturer to stand over the warranty/guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I know gas is the way to go but a lot of other considerations have to be taken into account in my case. Looks like I'll be sticking with oil.

Why?
    Like Gas Boilers, do new oil boilers have to be installed by a registered OFTEC installer only for the manufacturer to stand over the warranty/guarantees.

It's not a legal requirement but a manufacturer led obligation.
    I suppose you should ask yourself who would be more likely to install it correctly, somebody who is trained & certified with OFTEC or somebody who is not that aware of the regs?

The year before last it cost Grant €300,000 on warranty calls that due to installer error, hence the boiler passport scheme becoming increasingly stricter.

A boiler installed correctly on a clean system whether it be oil or gas will have the best chance of giving you years of trouble-free heating. It's a big enough investment after all.

Advertisement