Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Validity?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭

I an NON-EEA Family Member of EU Citizen and wish to travel to Ireland with my EU spouse.

I have applied for Irish visa today.

My passport is going to expire on 14 September 2014.

On INIS website, it says Family members of Irish citizens should have 12 months minimum validity in their passport. But they haven't mentioned the minimum validity in my case (spouse of EU citizen, other then Irish)
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Join%20Family#NON_EEA_Family_Member_of_EU_Citizen

Is it going to be a problem for me? because my passport will expire after about 1 year from now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The standard for passport validity for visas world wide is six months , are you going for a holiday or work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My wife is going to work in Ireland and if i find myself a job then Yes I will also start working.
    But my plan is once I am granted Irish visa, i will renew my passport at my home country embassy, in Ireland.

The standard for passport validity for visas world wide is six months , are you going for a holiday or work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

My wife is going to work in Ireland and if i find myself a job then Yes I will also start working.
    But my plan is once I am granted Irish visa, i will renew my passport at my home country embassy, in Ireland.

Usually INIS only give you a visa for as long as is on your passport. When your passport is renewed you can then apply to renew your visa. This is what happened to us - my husband would have been allowed to have a 3year visa but because there was only 11 months on his current passport they only have him his visa and GNIB card for 11 months. He then renewed his passport at 10 months and had to return to INIS to renew his visa.

But we were getting spouse of Irish national so it might be different. But generally to the best of my knowledge they only give visas for as long as your passport is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Usually INIS only give you a visa for as long as is on your passport. When your passport is renewed you can then apply to renew your visa. This is what happened to us - my husband would have been allowed to have a 3year visa but because there was only 11 months on his current passport they only have him his visa and GNIB card for 11 months. He then renewed his passport at 10 months and had to return to INIS to renew his visa.

But we were getting spouse of Irish national so it might be different. But generally to the best of my knowledge they only give visas for as long as your passport is valid.

given the above get a new passport, save you trouble down the line

thanks for the information.
    I dont want to renew my passport right now as my home country embassy can't renew my passport bcoz it has more than 1 year validity at the moment, they told me they can renew it only when its 12 months or less left. and I dont want to wait 1 more month to make it 12 months left on my passport. I have already applied for Irish visa with this passport number and maybe when the Irish visa is ready, my passport wont be ready or they will say its different passport number. so I think will come to Ireland and then apply for my passport renewal...
    what do you guys suggest?

• Advertisement

Won't they need your passport to place your visa stamp in?
    The different passport numbers won't be an issue, just contact them when you have the new one, send them a copy as proof and it is that passport they will link your visa to. I think it's a bit risky to arrive on a passport of less than 1 year as you will only end up having to reapply again quite soon.

If I remember correctly from another post of yours, you knew your wife are still only in the stages of looking for work. So I would say that for the sake of a few weeks it would be better to wait until you can get lost new passport

Then again if you don't want to wait, your passport might go 'missing' and you would need a new one, if you get me ;) you might have to pay an additional lost/stolen fee, but you could've been full validity passport etch sooner if your passport was 'lost'.

Yes they need my passport to put in the Entry stamp thats why I also dont want to renew the passport now. If i apply for new passport now on the basis its stolen then i need to submit police report, and arrange for few papers and plus it takes 1 month minimum(if i am lucky) until its ready and in my hands. And if i fail to submit my passport within 1 month of submitting my online Irish visa application then I have to submit a newer application again which means it will take take another 6 weeks or so for the Irish embassy to arrange the visa. 6 weeks time is written on their website. So overall I am going to loose 2.5 months at minimum if I plan to get a new passport for me.
    Therefore, I will get entry into Ireland with this passport. And while we apply for Stamp 4EUFAM and wait for 6 months until its ready, during this 6 months period I will apply for my passport at my home country embassy in Ireland. It will take 1 month to get my new passport in Ireland also and once I recieve it I will inform them I have new passport with new expiry date and send a copy even of the new passport.

Do you think its an Ok idea given the shortage of time in my hands?

Won't they need your passport to place your visa stamp in?
    The different passport numbers won't be an issue, just contact them when you have the new one, send them a copy as proof and it is that passport they will link your visa to. I think it's a bit risky to arrive on a passport of less than 1 year as you will only end up having to reapply again quite soon.

If I remember correctly from another post of yours, you knew your wife are still only in the stages of looking for work. So I would say that for the sake of a few weeks it would be better to wait until you can get lost new passport

Then again if you don't want to wait, your passport might go 'missing' and you would need a new one, if you get me ;) you might have to pay an additional lost/stolen fee, but you could've been full validity passport etch sooner if your passport was 'lost'.

How long will you have on your passport when you arrive in Ireland?

Also, you can loose your passport or it can get damaged! For example if you 'accidentally' left it in your pocket and it was put in the washing machine ;) then a police report would not be needed surely?

I wil have complete 11 months and about 15 days left on my passport when I arrive in Ireland.

Well, if you lost the passport or its stolen then they need police report and if its damaged (like in washing machine :)) then you need to submit the damaged passport plus the fees is like 2.5 times higher. But the extra fees is just only one point, the main drawback is that If I apply for a new passport now, it will take minimum 4-5 weeks as told by the embassy (or maybe more) and I won't be able to submit my passport with my Irish visa application which is already in the process now. If I fail to present passport within 30 days to Irish embassy then I have to apply for a new Irish visa and then again it will take Irish embassy another 1 month to check everything. So, a total of 2.5 - 3.5 months will be wasted because of passport.

How long will you have on your passport when you arrive in Ireland?

Also, you can loose your passport or it can get damaged! For example if you 'accidentally' left it in your pocket and it was put in the washing machine ;) then a police report would not be needed surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

do u need 6 months on your passport for the usa, i heard as long as its valid on your return date its ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement