Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favourite cafe's in Sligo?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Mine is O'Hehirs bakery all the way. Their food is gorgeus! :cool:

What are your favourite cafes in Sligo? 50 votes

Costa
    0% 0 votes
    Pepper Alley
    8% 4 votes
    Shell's Cafe
    6% 3 votes
    O'Hehirs Bakery
    18% 9 votes
    Chapters
    8% 4 votes
    Lilly's Cafe
    10% 5 votes
    Cafe Fleur
    6% 3 votes
    Osta
    10% 5 votes
    Lyon's Cafe
    10% 5 votes
    The Model Cafe
    16% 8 votes
    Gourmet Parlor
    8% 4 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fibonaccii

Vlove wrote: »
    Mine is O'Hehirs bakery all the way. Their food is gorgeus! :cool:

And expensive :)

Margret's cafe without a doubt would get my vote if it was in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

fibonaccii wrote: »
    And expensive :)

Margret's cafe without a doubt would get my vote if it was in the poll.

Best in Sligo??? It's a caff that sells burgers and chips. Good for truckers and the like but hardly award winning.

I like the interior of Chapters, but love the selection in Kate's Kitchen - delicious diverse options, especially for veggies.

Osta cafe has the best hot chocolate in Sligo (spiced).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Best in Sligo??? It's a caff that sells burgers and chips. Good for truckers and the like but hardly award winning.

I like the interior of Chapters, but love the selection in Kate's Kitchen - delicious diverse options, especially for veggies.

In fairness, when someone says cafe, thats what springs to mind for me. The rest are bakeries, sandwich bars, coffee shops.

In would love to see something like Margarets in the Town Centre, they would make an absolute killing, especailly on the breakfast trade, from the likes of work/trades men and students in the week, and people looking for that hangover cure, or just looking to chill at the weekend. Its informal, cosy, not pretentious, and pretty much does exaxtly what it says on the tin.

Peper Ally is not bad for a breakfast, but is a little over priced, and not there on a sunday morning when in most need. The Rooftop breakfast, well its just meh.

Yet you see your highfalutin "Cafeaaaays" close down every other week, while Margret still holds their own. Best breakfast in the town. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

Mint Sauce

I agree 100% with everything you have said.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    In fairness, when someone says cafe, thats what springs to mind for me. The rest are bakeries, sandwich bars, coffee shops.

In would love to see something like Margarets in the Town Centre, they would make an absolute killing, especailly on the breakfast trade, from the likes of work/trades men and students in the week, and people looking for that hangover cure, or just looking to chill at the weekend. Its informal, cosy, not pretentious, and pretty much does exaxtly what it says on the tin.

Peper Ally is not bad for a breakfast, but is a little over priced, and not there on a sunday morning when in most need. The Rooftop breakfast, well its just meh.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    Mint Sauce

I agree 100% with everything you have said.

Yep the ritz used to do a bomb in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

In fairness OP, you're poll is a bit selective. Shells is in Strandhill, so you would need to list all the 'cafes' in the county to get a proper result.
    For instance, Drumcliffe tea house (at Yeats grave) is also out of town, does lovely stuff and isn't mentioned.

fibonaccii wrote: »
    Yet you see your highfalutin "Cafeaaaays" close down every other week, while Margret still holds their own. Best breakfast in the town. Fact.

We don't have many highfalutin "Cafeaaaays" in Sligo? Keogh's shut down, but that was a restaurant. Can't think of anywhere else recently.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree on the interpretation of the word, but Margaret's would be a bog standard caff to me, not that's theres anything wrong with that. I'd love a joint that sold baked potatoes in town, there's lots of them in Yorkshire, and they're such great value.

I thought the Rooftop shut down ages ago? Isn't a Chinese there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Kate's Kitchen would be my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well. The rooftop is not one of them.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Can someone please tell me how to edit the polls because I forgot to add stuff? xD

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

red sean wrote: »
    Drumcliffe tea house (at Yeats grave) is also out of town

They have something upstairs in the Connacht Gold shop. Never been to the actual one in Drumcliffe, so I can't compare,but it is lovely! It's just as in town as Magarets!

I'd have to go with Lyon's though, love the Merc! or the chicken cesear ciabattas! I've noticed the size has gotten smaller though since the last time I was there though :/

We don't have many highfalutin "Cafeaaaays" in Sligo? Keogh's shut down, but that was a restaurant. Can't think of anywhere else recently.

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree on the interpretation of the word, but Margaret's would be a bog standard caff to me, not that's theres anything wrong with that. I'd love a joint that sold baked potatoes in town, there's lots of them in Yorkshire, and they're such great value.

I thought the Rooftop shut down ages ago? Isn't a Chinese there now?
    Where was Keogh's? Can't say I ever heard of it.

red sean wrote: »
    Where was Keogh's? Can't say I ever heard of it.

I wrote that absentmindedly, I meant Reidys, the cafe-restaurant-winebar type place opposite Sligo Library, it was very blue, in a bad location.

Ya, remember it. Was nice food when I was in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Obviously it shouldn't be an option in this poll(or thread really) but Esquires in Carrick is the best cafe I've been to in any kind of a drive from my house. Ya not in Sligo though, hopefully the new costa will be better.

Advertisement