Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government incentivised neutering

Options
  • 15-08-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

With over 5000 dogs (m&f) getting put down each year in Ireland it's pretty clear that we could do better. Has the idea of government incentivised neutering been proposed in the past? For example, a higher dog license fee for unneutered dogs.

If it has, has there been opposition and on what basis? If not, what are your thoughts on the idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There is no Government-sponsored scheme AFAIK. However, Dogs Trust and the ISPCA do offer low-cost schemes to neuter animals for those on Welfare/low income. But you have to provide proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

People like me who have not spayed their dog are not likely to have a dog licence like I don't.
    So what incentive is that.

Most of the dogs are there because stupid buyers that did no research before buying and bought from puppy farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Dodd wrote: »
    People like me who have not spayed their dog are not likely to have a dog licence like I don't.

I agree that's the case today, however in 2016 it will be mandatory to chip your dog, so I imagine it will be much more difficult to own an unlicensed dog as it becomes much easier to check if your dog is licensed. I presume that dog wardens will be equipped with sensors to detect micorchips and will be able to quickly and easily check if a dog is chipped / licensed (if not, then that would be an awful missed opportunity).

Then, if that goes to plan, an adjustment of the dog fees from €20/yr to €15/yr for a neutered dog/dogs under 18 months and €50/year for an unneutered dog over 18 months would seem like a strong incentive. The vet performing the neutering would simply update the doggy database after performing the operation and the fee would be reduced for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Most of the dogs are there because stupid buyers that did no research before buying and bought from puppy farms.

Yes - it wouldn't fix (no pun intended) that aspect of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Unfortunately responsible people do spay/neuter and the majority get dog licences, its the irresponsible ones that don't spay or neuter, and I doubt that saving a few quid on a licence that they won't buy anyway will have much of an effect. But yes, something needs to be done about the situation definitely.

How is it irrespensable to not spay a dog if they will not be off lead.
    She can run in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Wow, just wow.

This thread is littered with generalisations.

Can you back this up with data or is it just a sweeping generalisation and hearsay ?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Unfortunately responsible people do spay/neuter and the majority get dog licences, its the irresponsible ones that don't spay or neuter

This is simply not true. It may be in some cases but as a statement of fact it is way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Swanner wrote: »

This is simply not true. It may be in some cases but as a statement of fact it is way off the mark.

Really? How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mine are not spayed or neutered and I am very responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

With over 5000 dogs (m&f) getting put down each year in Ireland it's pretty clear that we could do better. Has the idea of government incentivised neutering been proposed in the past? For example, a higher dog license fee for unneutered dogs.

If it has, has there been opposition and on what basis? If not, what are your thoughts on the idea?

Where my parents live in Victoria, australia, the licence fee for the new registration of an unneutered dog (and cat) is $84 (€57) whereas registration of a neutered animal is $28 (€19). Reregistration each year then is $28. I couldn't find the numbers for Victoria, but this article is about the The lost dogs home in North Melbourne & Cranbourne and in 2011/2012 they put nearly 3000 to sleep (although they do say that some of that number is people dumping their dogs there specifically to be PTS) And that only covers a small amount of the state. So i don't know if higher licence fees will make any difference. Bans on puppy farms also come into effect in 2012.

http://www.savingpets.com.au/2013/03/its-not-us-its-you-the-lost-dogs-home-discusses-high-kill-rates-on-3aw/

As an aside, I recently registered my puppy here and all i got back was a paper licence. Do you get anything else? Surely you're not expected to carry the piece of paper with you when you take your dog for a walk? At hime, mum and dad get a tag to put on their collar and it is a different colour each year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mel.b wrote: »
    As an aside, I recently registered my puppy here and all i got back was a paper licence. Do you get anything else? Surely you're not expected to carry the piece of paper with you when you take your dog for a walk? At hime, mum and dad get a tag to put on their collar and it is a different colour each year

Yeah it's just paper here - no tag which I think is a great idea . I got two lifetime ones in the post yesterday and they're A4 laminated so I won't be carrying them around with me lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

mel.b wrote: »
    Where my parents live in Victoria, australia, the licence fee for the new registration of an unneutered dog (and cat) is $84 (€57) whereas registration of a neutered animal is $28 (€19). Reregistration each year then is $28. I couldn't find the numbers for Victoria, but this article is about the The lost dogs home in North Melbourne & Cranbourne and in 2011/2012 they put nearly 3000 to sleep (although they do say that some of that number is people dumping their dogs there specifically to be PTS) And that only covers a small amount of the state. So i don't know if higher licence fees will make any difference. Bans on puppy farms also come into effect in 2012.

http://www.savingpets.com.au/2013/03/its-not-us-its-you-the-lost-dogs-home-discusses-high-kill-rates-on-3aw/

I'm from New Zealand originally and it's the same there - little discs with a reg number on with a different colour each year and cheaper spaying/neutering if the dog is registered*.

*At least our dog got done for cheap due to this about 10 years ago. I don't know if it's still the same, I assume it is.

Advertisement