Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competing against superior candidates, please help.

• 15-08-2013 11:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. Basically, I’m aiming to do a PhD at the moment. My area is Microbiology/Immunology. Anyway, a few months ago, a lecturer I’d interviewed for a Technician job back in 2010 contact me to say he’d have another technician role come up. It was advertised this week. Anyway, a contact in Liverpool has offered to help me with my application. He’s also said my chances are slim due to PhDs (and people with a lot of experience of working in academic labs) being likely to apply. He told me I have to sell myself well. I’d stopped applying for jobs until now but this is one I really want. I was wondering if anyone here might have any advice.

Much appreciated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

For what my two cents are worth.

1. They rang you.... that's got to be something!

2. Passion for the position may carry you further than the piece of paper, depends on what they are looking for. Just because others may already have the paper, doesn't mean you are immediately out of the running.

3. So what if there is a bit of competition.... that's all part of the interview process. There are going to be other candidates. But someone has to get the position, so why not you? ('headology' has a lot to do with doing a good interview, if you think other people might be more experienced than you, then you may come across as disinterested when in actual fact you would love the job)

4. do your research before the interview, think of the kind of questions they might ask and how you might answer them. Also think about what you are going to say if they ask something that you don't know. (how you cope in a stressful interview will give them an indicator of how you may manage on the job... so if you feel you can handle the job, then apply the same belief to the interview process. :D)

5. Selling yourself is about showing the interviewers what they are getting if they hire you... if you are passionate about the work, let them know it, if you are willing to learn, make sure you get this across, etc...

6. They have to find someone to fulfil the position they have, so make their job as easy as possible for them. (i.e don't make them pull answers from you, nor should they have to hope you'll take a breath so that get a word in edgewise.... you would be surprised how often people do these in interviews)

Anyway good luck with the interview! Keep believing :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks, eskimocat!

I've an interview next week. I'll see how it goes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 arthurday2013

My thinking would be similar to that of the poster above.

I really wouldn't concern yourself with the other candidates - you can't control that - focus on what you have accomplished and achieved rather than what you have not, and try to sell that as best you can in the interview.

In my experience, interviewers look at the whole package, and occasionally pick the person who fits best with the requirements, even if they aren't the most qualified.

The other thing to say is that even if you don't get the job, you might get the next one that comes around because of the good impression you made

So in short, play to your strengths

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks for the replies guys! I interviewed for the job last Thursday and they offered me the job less than an hour after the interview. I think they were expecting me to want time to think about it but I accepted it there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Result! Congratulations :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement