Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour and their dog housing

Options
  • 15-08-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi guys, just want to gauge reaction here to a situation I've seen with one of our neighbours. He has a large boxer dog, who rarely makes any noise and seems very good natured all told. Now, the area I live in has a lot of small cottages with no gardens or yards , and this neighbour lives in one of these.

His dog lives in the back of his large jeep that's parked across the road from the cottage. The dog has a large bed, as well as food and water dishes, in the back of the jeep and the neighbour lets him out to walk around a few times over the course of the evening. He even has a " Beware of the dog" style sign on the dashboard. When you walk past the jeep when the dog is in it, he barks and jumps around a bit.

OK, so I assume the neighbour had the dog before he moved into the small house and this is his way to keep the dog without having it take up a lot of space in the house - he's a big dog. So, should I say something to the neighbour? Report him to the DSPCA? Is he doing anything legally wrong? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

So, should I say something to the neighbour? No
    Report him to the DSPCA? The dog has a better life than most, yeah living in a jeep is not ideal, but even you have said he is fed, walked and has water!
    Is he doing anything legally wrong? No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Sorry !!!!! A dog cannot live in a car that is not acceptable at all!!! Id advise you to report this to the DSPCA OP as soon as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Report him. Its no life for a dog to live in a jeep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Sounds like he only has the dog to guard the jeep to me.
    If I was in a bedsit I would still have the dog in rather than out in a jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Anyone who thinks its acceptable to keep a dog in a Jeep as its primary residence is not fit to own a dog. In hot weather it's a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Report him to the DSPCA? The dog has a better life than most, yeah living in a jeep is not ideal, but even you have said he is fed, walked and has water!

Very suitable user name :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

OP pick up that phone and report him.
    That is cruel to the dog.

If you don't want to report him then pm me his address and I'll call out and stand there till the dspca arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

OP, do you know the dog's owner, have you ever spoken with them? A friend of mine has recently had his life turned upside down, marriage finished, made homeless and the only way he has been able to keep his dogs so far has been sleeping in his van with them. He has now found a room in a house to live, and his dogs will be staying in the van on the driveway - they go to work with him every day, but this is only a temporary measure, and its his way of keeping his dogs, rather than trying to rehome them, and we all know how hard it is to find the right home for a dog at the moment. Maybe this owner is in the same kind of situation? Try and talk to him before you report him to anybody, you don't say where the dog is during the day, just that he lets him out in the evening, does he take him off out for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Are you serious? Seems so.

To OP I'd almost ask the same question. Are you sure the dog is kept in the car all day? Eh if so no need to ask the question, I don't care how much room, food etc the dog has...doesn't seem the best life does it? I'd be worried to get a dog taken away particularly if this life means no life...but can you talk to the owner? Maybe there is hopefully an explanation for keeping the dog in the car for extended periods. It could be a temporary thing but after last months hot weather I wince when I think of anyone be it human or animal being left in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

There are people living in the streets ffs.
    They would love to have the jeep to stay in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dodd wrote: »

What has that got to do with the OP's question?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

The Dog is in the Jeep or

Is the jeep in the Dog? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Dodd wrote: »

Since when did two wrongs make a right? Theres people starving in the world so does that mean its ok to starve a dog? Having a dog living full time (if this is the case) in a car is cruel and wrong full stop.

Advertisement