Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Photography

Options
  • 15-08-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this goes here or if it would be better off in the animal thread.

I've been photographing event photography , some weddings and parties over the past ten years but I want to break away from these and focus solely on Pet Photography.

I have ordered my business cards and they have been distributed over the past month with no feed back as of yet, I know it's only early days but has anybody got any ideas on how to market myself more? And if there is a market for pet photography?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

SingItOut wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this goes here or if it would be better off in the animal thread.

I've been photographing event photography , some weddings and parties over the past ten years but I want to break away from these and focus solely on Pet Photography.

I have ordered my business cards and they have been distributed over the past month with no feed back as of yet, I know it's only early days but has anybody got any ideas on how to market myself more? And if there is a market for pet photography?

Facebook page, hand out your cards at dog shows.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I already have a Facebook page, I tried handing out my cards at dog shows but either got ignored or dirty looks, people are pretty hard to approach that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Put up adverts on notice boards of local vets
    Sponsor and be present at dog/cat charity events
    Sponsor rescues to have your logo on their materials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Never thought of charity events thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

you can offer a free session for raffle award for example

oh and community notice boards in your Tesco, grocer's etc - in the one I'm shopping in people keep staring at these ads as this is where you wait in line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭denismc

You could do a calender for one of the many animal shelters around the country. The shelter gets funding from the calenders and your photos end up in the hands of animal lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flavon01

denismc wrote: »
    You could do a calender for one of the many animal shelters around the country. The shelter gets funding from the calenders and your photos end up in the hands of animal lovers.

Hi guys. I am for the first time but the calendar is a good way of advertising. For each animal exhibition - calendar will be of interest. Now is a good time (calendar 2014). I have many years of experience in publishing - I will help you for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I was at the Dublin Horse show recently and there was a trade stand for the humorously named www.shootmydog.ie .

They had loads of images and posters etc and would be a very good example on how someone is marketing this niche well.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

My fiancee is a dog groomer and is always taking before/after shots for her Facebook page and Website.

You could approach a couple of dog groomers in your area, I'm sure there would be some who would like some professional pics for their website or even for putting on flyers etc.

We are currently doing up her salon at the moment and plan to get some pics of our own dog and clients' dogs to print and display on canvas in the salon.

dwayne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Sounds like partnering with a dog groomer would be a good way to access business for a pet photographer.
    dwayned wrote: »
    My fiancee is a dog groomer and is always taking before/after shots for her Facebook page and Website.

You could approach a couple of dog groomers in your area, I'm sure there would be some who would like some professional pics for their website or even for putting on flyers etc.

We are currently doing up her salon at the moment and plan to get some pics of our own dog and clients' dogs to print and display on canvas in the salon.

dwayne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are the dog training clubs too. Find local schutzhund training clubs and you'll find some very expensive dogs going through defense training. They should be the kind of people that should want photos of their dogs. They can invest thousands in the dogs.

Overall I would have thought it's too niche of a market for a small country like Ireland. Adding it onto your traditional work would be fine but I wouldn't like to rely on it in the current economic climate.

If you could find the top trainers and well known dogs and take pictures of them for free it should pull in extra business when they post the pictures to their facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 myothername

where are you based? my mother is a dog groomer if you midlands based or cover midlands Im sure she wont mind putting up a poster for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flavon01

What do you think of the calendar with cats? I have a proposal for the implementation of the calendar.

Advertisement