Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mbna write off ???

Options
  • 15-08-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys
    I called avant cards today .. Just found out they took over mbna. I had a CC with mbna but fell into arrears and cut the card up.. This was over a year ago. I received letters from them for a bit and then it seemed to stop. About a year ago I wrote to them stating that I was having difficulty financially etc etc and asking for an arrangement to be put in place. I received the letter back from them saying that they had no record of my account. I was confused and wrote ago , same response.
    I then did nothing assuming they would start chasing me as I wasn't paying.. But nothing. I did nothing. Now today I called avant to try to sort t out as I want to sort out my finances. I have no card or account number at this stage so asked them to look me up. The extremely rude girl there told me that if I had an outstanding balance then I would be getting statements or letters from a debt collector if it was sold on .. I have received nothing. She found my details on the system but said that there is no balance. She could not find any details of my account, could not even tell me my account number or card number?? She kept asking me to have another look at home for an old statement???? She could offer no help. No details of it being sold to a debt collector etc. I stressed again that I wanted to sort this and there had to be a way that they could find my details so that I could pay what I owe.. The balance is over €5k!! She said that without ME finding a statement with account numbers then she could not help. What the hell?? I have no clue what to do? Has it been written off? Was it sold on and that company has gone AWOL?? I would love to think I am in the clear but it will come back to bite me if I don't find it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Get a copy of your credit report from the Irish credit bureau, if it is listed there as outstanding, then keep chasing to pay it off because it will stay on your record indefinitely and you'll have huge trouble getting any credit in future. Make sure that this new company has the right/ability to amend your credit report to record the debt as paid or settled.

If it's not on your credit report, then wait for them to contact you, not your problem if their records suck. Just put the money aside for the next 6 years in case they come calling.

I'm not one to advocate not paying your debts, but if they're inept then why should you do all the leg work!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cosycosy

Thanks djk1000.. Good advice. I will get onto the credit bureau and take it from there .. Who knows ;-0

Advertisement