Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education help!!

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

im 19 atm and have been on jobseekers since september but i stopped it for 2 months in december so thats a total of 10 months on the jobseekers. now that my cao is coming out on the 20th of august i will know if i got my course. the susi grant are requesting documents of income which i cant supply as i was on social welfare payments. so would i get back to education allowance if i applied? as that would be my only way of going to college because i dont live with my parents and am independent? please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You should apply for BTEA and also for a SUSI grant to pay the fees

In order to prove your income you will need to provide social welfare statements - also because you are 19 you will be assessed on your parents income for the SUSI grant - unless you can prove you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

jay2013 wrote: »
    the susi grant are requesting documents of income which i cant supply as i was on social welfare payments.

The Social Welfare should be able to provide you with proof of payment if you go in and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jay2013

You should apply for BTEA and also for a SUSI grant to pay the fees

In order to prove your income you will need to provide social welfare statements - also because you are 19 you will be assessed on your parents income for the SUSI grant - unless you can prove you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents

Thanks very much i was gettin very worried hopefully it all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

jay2013 wrote: »
    im 19 atm and have been on jobseekers since september but i stopped it for 2 months in december so thats a total of 10 months on the jobseekers. now that my cao is coming out on the 20th of august i will know if i got my course. the susi grant are requesting documents of income which i cant supply as i was on social welfare payments. so would i get back to education allowance if i applied? as that would be my only way of going to college because i dont live with my parents and am independent? please help

I have been through all this with the social welfare and it will frustrate you to know tat the social have there senseless rule that you MUST be on job seekers for a consecutive 9 months to qualify for btea, so that would mean you would want to be claiming since january. I have had to turn down work the past 9 months so that i can get it for this year, its a stupid rule.

Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

Since your 19 Don't forget you must meet other criteria like being out of education for two years

• Advertisement
Advertisement