Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female dog keeps straying

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi guys,
    My heart is broken with my 2 year old JR. She is constantly straying for miles this last month. Every time I get her home she is gone again within a day or two. She lives with her mother who ive had 5 years and they are inseparable, or so i thought! she has had a litter of pups recently and I was told she is looking for them?? I have gone through 5 collars and discs , I keep her in a secure back garden and beacuse of her recent straying have kept her inside unless im walking them. I even had the wall at the back of the house made higher but she is actually hurling herslf at it and climbing over it even if it hurts her.....

She is gone again now since yesterday after only getting her back .

has anyone else experienced this??

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I think you need to make your property secure so she can't get out. It's pretty much rule number one of owning a dog - making sure your life/house suits their needs. It might cost a bit but well worth it for her safety. She looks a lovely dog, best of luck with it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Get her spayed please please get her spayed!!
    She may well be straying because she's in heat and looking for a mate but she's already had one litter of pups and that's one litter too many.
    Keep her in the house, don't let her outside unattended and get her spayed. She could have an accident, cause an accident, get picked up by some unscrupulous person and end up a puppy making machine or worse!
    This is very very irresponsible of you to let this keep happening.
    It's not rocket science!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

How old were the pups when they left? How high is your wall now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

There are some dogs that are just determined to escape.

My eldest, now approx. 11 years old, even managed to escape from the rescue before she came to me. When I first had her she managed to escape on numerous occasions, luckily she only ventured locally. She has managed to chew through whatever fencing was installed, so much so that her teeth are so ground down they are now almost non existant at the front. If she could not get through the fence the next thing she would try would be to dig down underneath.

The only thing we could do was to see where she was escaping and try as best we could to prevent her. We had to resort to putting steel sheeting behind the fencing in places.

We appear to have succeeded in preventing her escapades, although I am not sure whether it's due to her age or she has realised she is better off staying where she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to stop her from getting out. What you are doing now isnt good enough and its up to you to stop her getting out. Either build the wall higher, put up a proper dog run or keep her in the house.

As another poster said, its not rocket science and those excuses are not good enough as to how shes getting out. A collar and chip isnt a way to stop a dog from escaping. Please ensure your poor dog doesnt get out again :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If she's getting out then your garden isn't secure. The best thing to do is to check your fencing for any holes; you'd be surprised how small a hole they can get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 socraticmethod

Hi she is a beauty everything said all ready securing garden and spaying.Keep your spirits up

Dog lover

Advertisement