Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting classes to improve communication skills.

Options
  • 15-08-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

My therapist recommended that I should take acting lessons to help me with communicating.

I was quite reluctant as I didn't have that much interest in theatre. I was also a bit cynical (no offense to people who pursue it, I have complete respect for those who can) as I feel that acting is a really difficult career and very few make it successfully.

Anyway I reluctantly decided to give it a fair chance at the beginning of the year. I started with a short six week course in January just to get a feel for it.

As it turned out. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought, it was even quite fun to do. I found that it was good for practicing speaking and the improv games and roleplay were good practice for social situations that I may find myself in.

The course was "Act The Maggot". The teacher was really nice and course was enjoyable. Although it's currently on hiatus as the teacher is reorganising her courses. However she said that it may start up again in October.

Afterwards I tried going to another ongoing drama group "nodrama". The group was really good fun, but I felt that I was thrown in the deep end a bit as the other members had much more experience.

So anyway I was thinking that I may take up another part-time course in the Autumn.

I thought about the 'Gaiety School of Acting'. It seems promising, but a bit expensive.

Another option is the 'Abbey School of drama'. I like how they keep their numbers small for more individual attention. Also a short course there on public speaking caught my eye.

Although the drama was fun. I don't really feel that I'd ever do as a career or really want to take part in a play. Just not that interested.

The public speaking course may be more practical as it's something I can use for my own career and other social gatherings.

Any other recommendations?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your therapist is absolutely right, the performing arts can do wonders to confidence, public speaking and communication skills in individuals.

I'm obviously slightly biased with this, but I'll throw it out there anyway! I run courses in improvisation and I have a 6 week Level 1 course kicking off on September 30th.

Improvisation is a fun and powerful to release your creative potential in a fun and supportive environment. In this 6 week course, we explore the basics and fundamentals of improvisation both as a performing and life skill. The course and workshops are designed to be fun and liberating as we unlock our creativity and conquer any inhibitions or fears we harbor.
    At the end of the course, participants will grasp the fundamentals of improvisation and will be able to apply those new skills to your personal, work and performing life.

Class sizes are limited to maximise learning potential

The link below has more details and includes testimonials from previous students.

http://www.lowerthetone.com/dublinimprov/

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

faceman wrote: »
    I'm obviously slightly biased with this, but I'll throw it out there anyway! I run courses in improvisation and I have a 6 week Level 1 course kicking off on September 30th.

The link below has more details and includes testimonials from previous students.

http://www.lowerthetone.com/dublinimprov/

Yeah that seems really cool. What time of the evening does the class start?

(I ask because I would need to get from work in the city centre to Sandyford.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah that seems really cool. What time of the evening does the class start?

(I ask because I would need to get from work in the city centre to Sandyford.)

Classes start at 7pm on Mondays. The venue is right beside the Sandyford Luas stop too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jessica47

My therapist recommended that I should take acting lessons to help me with communicating.

I was quite reluctant as I didn't have that much interest in theatre. I was also a bit cynical (no offense to people who pursue it, I have complete respect for those who can) as I feel that acting is a really difficult career and very few make it successfully.

Anyway I reluctantly decided to give it a fair chance at the beginning of the year. I started with a short six week course in January just to get a feel for it.

As it turned out. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought, it was even quite fun to do. I found that it was good for practicing speaking and the improv games and roleplay were good practice for social situations that I may find myself in.

The course was "Act The Maggot". The teacher was really nice and course was enjoyable. Although it's currently on hiatus as the teacher is reorganising her courses. However she said that it may start up again in October.

Afterwards I tried going to another ongoing drama group "nodrama". The group was really good fun, but I felt that I was thrown in the deep end a bit as the other members had much more experience.

So anyway I was thinking that I may take up another part-time course in the Autumn.

I thought about the 'Gaiety School of Acting'. It seems promising, but a bit expensive.

Another option is the 'Abbey School of drama'. I like how they keep their numbers small for more individual attention. Also a short course there on public speaking caught my eye.

Although the drama was fun. I don't really feel that I'd ever do as a career or really want to take part in a play. Just not that interested.

The public speaking course may be more practical as it's something I can use for my own career and other social gatherings.

Any other recommendations?

It was 3 years ago when my friend josh was sent to acting school. He too was advised by his doctor to learn acting because he has the habit of stammering and he also tend to get fumble at times. Which was ruining his self confidence, his academics.

Now if you talk to him he hardly stammers. He has tried hard to get rid of it.

You just go for it.

Advertisement