Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

www.thephotographyinstitute.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hi all,
    Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. But anybody gone through www.thephotographyinstitute.ie ?
    any good? Is it an official qualification?
    cheers

i cant see it being up to much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The say they have 24hr support and their own facebook group. Sounds official to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From reading the blurb, you don't get any official qualification, apart from maybe their own qualification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

I got this deal on grab one for this course, I went to join up and they said the code was invalid. I tried to contact them but got no reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

IT doesn't teach you anything that you couldn't look up and learn yourself online...for free!

Go through their modules step by step and google each one, read up on it until you are happy that you understand what you've learnt and go to the next topic.

Seriously...it's like the ABC's of using a camera.

"What is a camera"

"What is a lens"

"What is Aperture"

"What is shutter speed" etc...

I get they are going from scratch for people with no experience at all. I just don't see an online course that doesn't actually teach you anything new that isn't already available for free out there on the internet.

It's delusional to think you will be a capable, competent photographer with this "qualification" after spending the money on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

just check out Mike Brown's tutorial's on youtube... excellent & free. I don't think any photographic qualification matters unless you do a third level degree & go down the artistic route i.e exhibition in galleries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

TTWNF wrote: »
    just check out Mike Brown's tutorial's on youtube... excellent & free. I don't think any photographic qualification matters unless you do a third level degree & go down the artistic route i.e exhibition in galleries.

its not the qualification, its what you learn, some IOP courses are excellent as are some courses run by boardsie members. A peice of paper means nothing at the end of the day in this industry.

(speaking from a photo degree grad)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

A peice of paper means nothing at the end of the day in this industry.

(speaking from a photo degree grad)

Mele - you'd be surprised how many people do value the paper/letters , its only when you don't have it , you see its value.

I regret not studying documentary photography - couldn't afford it at the time , and too old now, and my place is well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What age are you that you think you are too old?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Effects wrote: »
    What age are you that you think you are too old?

too old for full time education , too old & set in my ways to be re-trained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 desob1

Hi,

Just wondered if I could get some comments from anyone who has completed or currently doing the online course that is available for thephotographyinstitute.ie. I'm seriously considering signing up for this and would appreciate the opinions that you may have.

There are a lot of comments around from people who have not completed or are doing the course. I just want to get some valid comments and opinion.

Their site is below.

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.ie/

Thanks,

DesOB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd start by looking at the thread with an almost identical title to yours, sitting about 5 threads below this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 desob1

Thanks, have done that already, but most of the posts are old and written by people who haven't done the course. just looking for input from people who have done, or are doing the course. I'm aware that it's not a certified course.

Regards,

DesOB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

desob1 wrote: »
    Thanks, have done that already, but most of the posts are old and written by people who haven't done the course. just looking for input from people who have done, or are doing the course. I'm aware that it's not a certified course.

Regards,

DesOB

What is your idea of old? The OP was only 10 days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

threads merged. we really don't need two separate threads on the topic, on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

hi cheers, yeah i looked more and it doesnt seem like an official qualification. Ill go back to reading The Photographer's Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography by Michael Freeman!

Advertisement