Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackeral setup

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok so I fish rivers bait spinning fly etc and lakes but when we go on holidays around the coast I do see fish swimming below the piers etc.I asked and I know there mackeral and you fish for them with feathers but how would you go about it like setup etc, any tips greatly appreciated and just in general fishing methods and species around piers along the coast. I'm only a 20 minute trip from tramore and I'm told the fishing there is good? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Tramore ? feck the Mackeral and go after Bass. Mackeral fishing is easy, 10ft 2-4oz rod, 15lb line 2oz lead and away you go. But if you want to use your river spinning gear for a much nobler pursuit, 10ft 40grm rod, 12lb mono, fluorocarbon trace and various soft/hard plastic's and spoons go after the Bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

stylie wrote: »
    Tramore ? feck the Mackeral and go after Bass. Mackeral fishing is easy, 10ft 2-4oz rod, 15lb line 2oz lead and away you go. But if you want to use your river spinning gear for a much nobler pursuit, 10ft 40grm rod, 12lb mono, fluorocarbon trace and various soft/hard plastic's and spoons go after the Bass.[/quo

Yes thanks sounds like a good wouldnt I have to go to the rocks for bass and a few rapalas? And aswell do I just retrieve the feathers like spinners?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

vermin99 wrote: »
    stylie wrote: »
    Tramore ? feck the Mackeral and go after Bass. Mackeral fishing is easy, 10ft 2-4oz rod, 15lb line 2oz lead and away you go. But if you want to use your river spinning gear for a much nobler pursuit, 10ft 40grm rod, 12lb mono, fluorocarbon trace and various soft/hard plastic's and spoons go after the Bass.[/quo

Yes thanks sounds like a good wouldnt I have to go to the rocks for bass and a few rapalas? And aswell do I just retrieve the feathers like spinners?

Basicly yes.

Pull the rod back in a sharpish/fastish manner and and then wind down on the slack line fast.

Pull and reel,pull and reel....so that the feathers jig along in the water.

Its pi55 easy to do......try to not have any slack line between you and the weight and feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Buy a few 15 gram or so spoons ans spin for mackerel, bass are hit and miss you could be fishing for a long time befor you hit one.

Advertisement