Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing a new laptop

Options
  • 14-08-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I need to by a new laptop. I used to have a Toshiba and it gave up after only having it 1 year :mad:! I won't use them again. I used to have a Dell laptop for work which was good but a bit bulky.

I mainly need it for course work, music and movies. I'd like something light weight. My price range is a small €400 - €500.

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

neesheen wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need to by a new laptop. I used to have a Toshiba and it gave up after only having it 1 year :mad:! I won't use them again. I used to have a Dell laptop for work which was good but a bit bulky.

I mainly need it for course work, music and movies. I'd like something light weight. My price range is a small €400 - €500.

All suggestions welcome!

Like you I had a Dell that served me well, but gave up the ghost.After much looking I settled on either ASUS or Lenovo as being the best built these days. Went for the lenovo (bought direct) in the end,as they had a 10% discount on and I could claim back the vat.

Saveonlaptops.co.uk get good reviews on here and are supposed to be great to deal with.I did email them about vat before I went direct to Lenovo and they were very fast replying and setting up a vat free account.

I went for an i3 (3rd generation) which I think will be fine, my usage is similar to you and I don't game, with 8bg ram, 500gb disk (although lots of people are recommending solid state drives now), full hd screen.Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

I'd agree with Gooner99, I work in IT and the 1500 we support on site all use Lenovo laptops, they give very little trouble, and for the most part, the trouble they do give is user inflicted, in saying that, my girlfriend bought her Mam one on my advice and they hate it, think it's very user unfriendly, haven't used it myself so I don't know if it is or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

For what it's worth I can vouch for saveonlaptops as well, I just took delivery of my new Acer V5. It's not the most powerful one out there, but it comes with a backlit keyboard. I ordered it on Monday and I got it at 4pm today. 400 euro including shipping. Very impressed with the service. They responded to my questions very quickly, and let me know right away when the laptop was sent. My two cents anyway, give them a punt.

Here's one you might be interested in.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z500-15-6-6GB-Ram-1000GB-HDD-Webcam-HDMI-DVD-Rewriter-Wireless-/251316598594?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3a83a2f742

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what type of toshiba did you have

Advertisement